Medical Questions > Cancer > Brain Cancer Forum

right rehabilitation for loss of functions after surgery?

User Profile
My mom lost some of her functions (unable to walk, open her jaw, close her left eye, swallow) after a successful removal of a brain stem tumour in 2011. Radio therapy was the initial method but was terminated since she would not survive the operation. The highly recommended surgeon was adamant that once the radiation was dissolved the rehab centre would see significant progress, but they ignored it and discharged her from the centre.

I would like to know if there is a causality between the surgery and the loss of functions, if not what could have been the cause, and inherently what would be the right course of action for rehabilitation?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2013
Brain Cancer Answer A43502
Hello,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

Brain stem surgeries are very delicate operations because the brain stem is one of the toughest structures to approach surgically since it's so deeply situated and is enclosed by, the cerebrum on both sides, the cerebellum behind and by the throat in front.

I can understand your concern for your mother's symptoms but i agree with her neurosurgeon that these symptoms can be due to the complications of surgery or even the tumor itself. It seems that her facial nerve has been effected. Rehabilitation is the only treatment option at this stage. She needs ccupational, physical and speech therapy.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Brain basics here - what is a tumor and how do doctors understand brain cancer? ...
What puts you at risk of developing brain cancer? Review the most common risk factors for brain cancer so that you can be informed....
Brain cancer symptoms are wide ranging and various. Look out for these common symptoms of brain cancer and learn when you should seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Brain Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.