Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

right mandibular condylar cyst.

User Profile
What happens if there is a cyst inside the condyle and the pain is persistent and getting worse with orthotic (splint) treatment not helping.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile edgaras
|

User Profile
replied May 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
then obviously you need to get in there and be persistant. dont take no for an answer. tell them what you think is wrong and then go and tell them why.
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2008
Supporter
radiologist
I saw a radiologist for 2nd opinion. Initially, he was quick to conclude that there is no cyst (just like 2 previous oral surgeons), but then upon me being persistent he went on to look at the MRI slides more carefully and did say, "yes there is a cyst, but it is very unlikely that it is causing you this pain, and there is no fluid around the TMJ, so arthocentesis is really not useful".

It is getting so hard to keep hearing same thing - "your TMJ anatomy and physiology appear normal so it is very unlikely that is it causing "the amount of pain that YOU describe".

And it all started with a root canal... then extracted it, but pain continued.
Maybe dentist injected me in the wrong place.
Initially I just had pain, then I noticed that my joint is clicking, popping (crepitus). Feels inflamed within like pressure building up in locked chamber, that's how it feels.
|

User Profile
replied May 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
beleive me i know how frustrating it is. the amount of pain you describe---good grief---offer to give your jaw to them for a while. arthrocentesis doensnt really work anyhow cause it only works with one joint cavity

i know what you are going through---ive been there. but im a little bit of a jerk and i pester till i get what i want---which sadly is what you have to do---with my doctors i didnt need to --the last set anyway cause they knew what i was talking of and i had all my files and i was well educated and i educated them further. sometimes you have to do that as well. you need to get that cyst out. see if there is a med that they can use--you may want to have them biopsy the cyst
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2008
Supporter
Thanks for understanding Tmddyan.

At this particular point I am being forced to research as my doctors confuse more than help. Here is what I found on pubmed.com; sadly, my university account has expired so no more full access to articles, I will try to regain that feature as I cannot afford to travel to university grounds to have access.
Why can't medical research be free to all, but that's another question...

Temporomandibular joint neoplasms and pseudotumors.
Warner BF, Luna MA, Robert Newland T.

Department of Pathology, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, USA.

Neoplasms and pseudotumors of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) are very uncommon. Early recognition of such will prevent therapeutic delay and may have a dramatic impact on patient morbidity and mortality. Included in rare TMJ lesions are the following: 1) synovial chondromatosis, 2) osteochondroma, 3) osteoma, 4) osteoblastoma, 5) pigmented villonodular synovitis, 6) ganglion, 7) synovial cyst, Cool simple bone cyst, 9) aneurysmal bone cyst, 10) epidermal inclusion cyst, 11) hemangioma, 12) nonossifying fibroma, 13) Langerhans cell histiocytosis, 14) plasma cell myeloma, 15) sarcoma.

PMID: 11078060

Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1997 Jun;26(3):179-81.Links
Ganglion cyst and synovial cyst of the temporomandibular joint. Two case reports.
Chang YM, Chan CP, Kung Wu SF, Hao SP, Chang LC.

Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan.

Ganglion cysts and synovial cysts are lesions rarely associated with the temporomandibular joint. Ganglion cysts arise from myxoid degeneration of the connective tissue of the joint capsule, are filled with viscoid fluid or gelatinous material, and have a fibrous lining. Synovial cysts also contain gelatinous fluid and are lined with cuboidal to somewhat flattened cells consistent with a synovial origin. One case of a ganglion cyst and one case of a synovial cyst of the temporomandibular joint are presented, and their differential diagnosis and management are discussed.

PMID: 9180226

Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1993 Oct;76(4):433-6.Links
Benign osteoblastoma associated with an aneurysmal bone cyst of the mandibular ramus and condyle.
Svensson B, Isacsson G.

Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Orebro Medical Center Hospital, Sweden.

This article reviews the clinical behavior, the histologic conditions, and the treatment of a benign osteoblastoma associated with an aneurysmal bone cyst of the mandibular condyle and ramus. A 14-year-old boy, otherwise healthy, was referred for pain and enlargement in his right temporomandibular joint-cheek region. The swelling was firm and tender, a slight facial asymmetry was present, and the mouth-opening capacity was reduced. During a 6-weeks period from the primary examination to surgery the lesion expanded extensively, anesthesia appeared in the right inferior alveolar nerve and a lateral open bite developed on the affected side. Computed tomography displayed a total destruction of the right mandibular condyle and ramus to the level of the mandibular foramen. The lesion was radiolucent without distinct borders to adjacent bone. Surgery revealed a bluish, well-vascularized predominantly cystic tumor. The lesion included the temporomandibular joint disk but without overgrowth to the temporal component. After resection of the lesion, the condyle and the mandibular ramus was reconstructed with the use of an autogenous costochondral graft. The postoperative healing was uncomplicated. At follow-up 2 years after surgery the boy was free of recurrence with normal motor and sensory nerve function.

PMID: 8233421

J Contemp Dent Pract. 2006 Jul 1;7(3)9-105.Click here to read Links
Temporomandibular joint clicking noises caused by a multilocular bone cyst: a case report.
Ozçelik TB, Ersoy AE.

University of Ankara, Faculty of Dentistry, Turkey.

When diagnosing patients with temporomandibular disorder (TMD) symptoms, the possibility of unusual causes must be considered, including neoplastic disorders, as well as infections and inflammatory disease. Therefore, radiologic examination may prove to be invaluable in the differential diagnosis of TMDs. This article describes a patient whose temporomandibular joint (TMJ) noise was initially diagnosed by another dental clinic as a TMJ anterior disc displacement with reciprocal clicking. Occlusal splint therapy was used for nearly three to four months but did not improve the TMJ noise condition. When the patient was examined clinically and imaged with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed tomography (CT), a multilocular bone cyst (MBC) was suspected. The cyst could cause surface irregularities in the posterior part of the left eminence of the temporal bone, which could be the source of the clicking noise.

J Oral Pathol Med. 2003 May;32(5):310-3.Links
Ganglion cyst of the temporomandibular joint.
Kim SG, Cho BO, Lee YC, Hong SP, Chae CH.

Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Hallym University, Kyoungkido, Korea.

We report a case of cystic lesion in a 37-year-old woman. The patient had an oval-shaped lesion adjacent to the temporomandibular joint. Thick fibrotic tissue and muscle were observed microscopically, but the epithelium lining was not observed. The lesion was diagnosed as a ganglion cyst. The patient's general medical history was non-contributory. High performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and mass spectrophotometry (MS) revealed some proteins from the fluid in the lesion, such as a filaggrin precursor, dystroglycan, a polyprotein of the hepatitis C virus, and proteins originating from bacteria. The follow-up examinations revealed no recurrence. The probable pathogenesis of the lesion is discussed.

PMID: 12694356

LAST EDITED ON May-05-08 AT 10:35 PM (CST)

Ann Plast Surg. 1987 Apr;18(4):323-6.Links
Recognizing the temporomandibular joint ganglion.
Kenney JG, Smoot EC, Morgan RF, Shapiro D.

A case report of a cystic preauricular mass that changed in size and position with jaw movement is presented. This tumor proved to be a ganglion of the temporomandibular joint (TM) cyst, which is relatively rare. When a preauricular mass retrudes into the masseter muscle in jaw opening, pathological conditions associated with the TMJ should be considered. Ganglion cysts of the TMJ are a benign pathological entity which can mimic parotid tumors. Temporomandibular joint radiography and perhaps ultrasonography of the region are useful in the preoperative evaluation of preauricular masses. The TMJ ganglion cyst can be successfully treated by direct excision and repair of the joint capsule. This approach avoids the potential morbidity of a superficial parotidectomy.

PMID: 3579173

The Journal of Laryngology & Otology (1994), 108:30-32 Cambridge University Press
Copyright © JLO (1984) Limited 1994
doi:10.1017/S0022215100125757

Main Articles
Temporomandibular joint capsule prolapse: a technique of repair using autograft cartilage
Shakeel R. Saeeda1 c1, Nadeem R. Saeeda2 and Gerald B. Brookesa1
a1 Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital, Gray's Inn Road, London and Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
a2 Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, The Royal London Hospital, London.

Abstract

Loss of bony integrity of the temporomandibular joint may result in prolapse of the joint capsule into the external auditory canal. This in turn gives rise to arthralgia, trismus and earache and a risk of septic arthritis.

We describe a technique of repair which is simple, uses autologous tissue and has an acceptable cosmetic and functional result.

(Accepted October 23 1993)

Key Words: Temporomandibular joint; Prolapse; Cartilage; Transplantation; autologous

Correspondence:

c1 Mr S. R. Saeed, University Department of Otolaryngology, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9WL.

Simple bone cyst of the mandibular condyle with severe osteoarthritis: report of a case

* Toshiyuki Ogasawara11Department of Dentistry and Oral Surgery, !**@! Medical University, Matsuoka, !**@!, Japan
* Yoshimasa Kitagawa11Department of Dentistry and Oral Surgery, !**@! Medical University, Matsuoka, !**@!, Japan,
* Toru Ogawa11Department of Dentistry and Oral Surgery, !**@! Medical University, Matsuoka, !**@!, Japan,
* Tetsushi Yamada11Department of Dentistry and Oral Surgery, !**@! Medical University, Matsuoka, !**@!, Japan,
* Sachiko Yamamoto11Department of Dentistry and Oral Surgery, !**@! Medical University, Matsuoka, !**@!, Japan,
* Kaihei Hayashi11Department of Dentistry and Oral Surgery, !**@! Medical University, Matsuoka, !**@!, Japan

1Department of Dentistry and Oral Surgery, !**@! Medical University, Matsuoka, !**@!, Japan

T. Ogasawara, Department of Dentistry and Oral Surgery, !**@! Medical University, 23 Shimoaizuki, Matsuoka, !**@!, 910–1193, Japan

Abstract

A rare case of simple bone cyst in the mandibular condyle of a 33-year-old woman is reported. The condition was difficult to diagnose because the cyst was accompanied by severe osteoarthritis. T1-weighted magnetic resonance (MR) images revealed a cystic lesion with intermediate signal intensity within the condylar head and an irregular margin with intermediate signal intensity on the superior surface of the condyle. The patient was treated by high condylectomy, discectomy and reconstruction by sagittal split ramus osteotomy. Histopathological examination showed a simple bone cyst in the condylar head and erosion of the anterior articular surface due to degenerative changes.
|

replied September 5th, 2014
TMJ cyst
I am F*&^ing here to say that I cannot believe that I have discovered what my f*&^ing problem is after a CAT SCAN and every doctor and person in the world telling me I'm full of s&*t. Anyways, I'm going to forget about this thing that mimics pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid tumor, because the more I complain about it the more people talk to me like I'm a little kid. And people think I am a little kid, because I'm a brilliant musician (yes I'm admitting I'm confident and self-centered) and that's what brilliant musicians do. I'll just wait until it gets big enough to see, even though it is getting harder and harder every day to sing. I will forget about this mass that evades CAT Scans and biases even the fairest of doctors, and accept that I deserve to be in hell and Satan is perhaps my only friend at this point in my life. Hail f&^%ing Satan. Do you see what you've done, mimicker of cancer? Yes Satan I will worship you if that is what you want. I'm going to go sing a song now, while being driven crazy by the bumblebee buzzing in my ear while doing so. All the beauty in singing and music is day by day dwindling. But I won't let that stop me. And also I will not let the throbbing pain stop me either. Nor will I let the bumblebee buzz in my left ear stop me, nor will I let the neck and jaw pain bother me. Nor will I let the blood vessel that's not getting enough oxygen in my chin stop me. Nor will I let the headaches and pain and discomfort and constant fear of overworking certain muscles that have to sacrifice energy to put up with the D$%M CYST stop me!!!!
Screw you Dr. Krichev, and Mom and Dr. Dad, and everyone who thinks I'm stupid, but I f*&%ing love you guys all the same. I understand that I deserve to be in pain.
Peace, and God bless every single one of you!
|

And just a farewell F&%K YOU!
|

That contrast s%^t that they put in your body has got to be the worst thing ever. And the radiologist, swear to God, did not inform me to NOT jump up immediately after the scan because you MIGHT RIP YOUR F^%$ing BRAIN IN HALF. GODD*&M IT SOMEONE DO THEIR F&^%ING JOB! I SWEAR I'VE NEVER BEEN MORE F^%$ING SCARRED IN MY LIFE!
...and for some reason I'm strangely relieved of my fears and failures as a human being. Time to go get a girlfriend.........
|

If I still F&^%ING can...
(remember, since everyone now thinks I'm full of s&%t?)
I've gotta go rogue... Sad
Yes sir! Yes mam! I'm a piece of s%$t! I'm stupid! You're the boss! You're super smart!
A$$holes.
|
Quick Reply