Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

rib hump & pain following spinal fusion surgery

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I had a spinal fusion surgery at Jefferson Hospital in 1983 from T5 to L3. clearly this was a long time ago. I did not have a rod put in, but had a rib-resection. I never had much problem with my back until I had a child. When she was a toddler, I developed dibilitating pain & was unable to move. I went to Rothman & was told that the surgery I had "never really took on" & is not performed. In the past decade, my hump has grown noticably bigger & is extremely painful. Now, it feels like my hump is attaching to my pelvis - that's the way it feels. I have constant pain that radiates down my leg to my toes, up my neck & down my arms. I wake up with numb arms & hands several times per night & find it hard to stand erect. I am a very active person & this is very difficult to manage. I have no insurance & am at a loss for what to do even if I did have it - I found it hard to find someone who would see me.

I don't know if there is any "action" that can be taken this long after the procedure if it was done incorrectly, poorly or was an experimental surgery. I don't want to sue anyone - I just want my life back. Six months in a body cast was enough to give away. I get regular massages to flatten the scar tissue & keep me flexible.
Did you find this post helpful?