Hello,
So I have noticed that my left ribcage is different from my right one. I have this wierd bone ( thats what it feels like) that is under and it kind of pokes out. I dont know whether its a lymph node or a bone but i know that my ribacges dont exactly match up as far as in size. Is this normal?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied November 11th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Hi carismandspice,

For the majority of us, the right side is larger than the left. Females have 1 rib more than the male (due to God's creation of woman, taken from the rib of man, Genesis 2:22). However, what you are describing doesn't appear to be normal. I would direct you to go to your doctor and have him take a look at it, just to have peace of mind. Good Luck.

Faded Rose
|

replied March 1st, 2011
ribs
hi.. is it true that the right ribs is larger than the left side one? i actually feel that too as when i touch the right side 1, it is like the size is bigger.. but it doesn't poke out and not obvious unless i touch it.. and it is not pain as well.. i did have an X-Ray check last year but i was told nothing.. the doctor said the x-ray result doesn't show any abnormality at the bone and there's no overgrowth as well.. now i am thinking to visit another doctor again.. may i have your suggestion? thx..
|

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
This is normal anatomical variation. You shouldn't be much concerned about it.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Tags: rib cage, bone
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.