Hello Doctor,

I have question regarding rheumatic heart disorder. My sister ( Age : 35 ) is detected with damage of the heart walls ( valves) due to rheumatic heart fever in the childhood.
I am trying to figure oiut the best possible treatments for this, may it be surgerical or medication. Also what are the chances of it getting cured or what are possible involved riskes with this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 9th, 2015
If she was diagnosed with Rheumatic Heart Disease there is permanent damage that is often treated by meds or surgery.

Damaged valves may lead to atrial fibrillation, infection and eventual heart failure.

Any infection can set off the chain of events leading to failure, so illnesses must be watched closely.

With RHD inflammation is followed with repair of tissue, which causes thickening, fusion, shortening which prevents the valves from closing properly and blood flows back which makes the heart work harder leading to more damage.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....