I have been bulimic off and on now for seven years. I was originally morbidly obese and then I lost all of it and became a triathlete. At the time, I became very good at competition, gaining a considerable ranking. My problem was I wanted to be better and better. That is when I turned to binge eating. I finally stopped when I crashed on my bike one day from purging the night before. I made my mind up then to stop and I had, although there are times that I can't keep the food down and I have to throw up because it gets stuck in my esophagus. I got married two years ago, got great job advancements, and that is what has lead me to today. Once I got married and taken on much more responsibilities, I have not had the time for competitive sports anymore. Since then, I have put on 20 pounds. Last night, I looked in the mirror and made my mind up to get back to where I was, no matter what. This morning, I binged for the first time in three years. I vomited some of the biscuit up, but then a couple minutes later, everything else came up.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 26th, 2008
Supporter
Hi apate,

I can tell from your tone that you are both disappointed in yourself, and that you feel that there's nowhere to really turn at the moment. Please know that the exact cause of bulimia is unknown. Genetic, constitutional, psychological, trauma, family, society, or cultural factors may play a role in this eating disorder but your case is likely due to more than one factor.

I'd encourage you to look immediately into treatment. Treatment focuses on breaking the binge-purge cycles. Outpatient treatment may include behavior modification techniques as well as individual, group, or family counseling. The following organizations provide information on eating disorders and can help point you in the right direction.

* Academy for Eating Disorders - www.aedweb.org
* National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD) - www.anad.org
* Overeaters Anonymous - www.oa.org
|

User Profile
replied December 9th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Read this article
As a moderator here, I can give support and information whenever you need them. Right now, after I read your post, all I can say is that you really must seek for help as soon as possible!
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....