Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

results from CMP have always ranged in the 120's to 131.

User Profile
I am a 57 y.o. female whose glucose results from CMP have always ranged in the 120's to 131. The doctor did a A1C and the result was 6.1 and my blood glucose was 127 does this mean I am pre-diabetic or have diabetes?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied November 20th, 2015
Diabetes Answer A54888
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

If a fasting blood sugar is twice elevated over 126 mg/dl over a two week period , then its considered as diabetes. Considering HBA1c higher than 6.5 as diagnostic criterion is a matter of controversy. Diet and lifestyle changes at this time would suffice. Metformin can be considered especially if you are overweight or have a compelling co morbid condition like PCOS.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Diabetes, Diet
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.