Medical Questions > Parenting > Grade School Kids Health Forum

Restricting video games and acting out violence depicted in them

User Profile
My son is 6 (turned 6 the end of June). He is in a new school this year in a Primer class of 10. He has always been a very outgoing, happy, charming, handsome boy. Last year in school he had some episodes in Kinder when he did not get his way he would "throw himself out" and cry and whine until we were called to come get him (happened 2 times). He plays starwars legos and indiana jones on the wii and nintendo ds during free time which this summer was a lot. Over the past three weeks he has been saying "My brain is telling me to_____ but I'm not going to. _____first started out as "say you are nasty" and has progressed to "bite you" "hit you" and "kill you". He always immediately says, but I'm not going to! Last night he told his father, "My brain is telling me that if I had a bb gun I would kill you, but I really wouldn't" He received a spanking for this and has no video game privilages for a week. Is this something to be concerned about, or a developmental issue? Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 9th, 2008
Grade School Kids Answer A4661
It doesn't seem like a serious problem as long as your son only talks without doing anything bad. It is possible that those verbal incidents are the result of his imagination influenced by the violence he sees in video games and movies. You should keep trying to persuade him that he should not imitate the characters from the video-games. Restricting video-games is a reasonable measure but using spanking as a discipline method is very controversial and dangerous.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Grade School Kids Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.