User Profile
I have been extremely ill for nine months with constant infections. My bloodwork shows a noteable decrease in my lymphocytes (17 out of 30-45%). I had a ct scan done to look for tumors and the findings were "soft tissue is noted in the superior aspect of the mediastinum with the shape likely representing residual thymus." I meet with my doctors next week but I have no clue what that means and I can''t find any significant information on the internet. Please help. Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2010
Immune Disorders Answer A11753
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by repeated infections for last nine months and decrease in lymphocyte component of white blood cells to 17%.You have also made a mention of residual thymic tissue on CT chest.
Lymphocytopenia may be due to recent infections that you have been suffering from or it can also be seen in leukemia
It is possible that the residual thymic tissue may be cancerous.
A PET scan can be considered to evaluate the thymic tissue. To ensure that there is no cancer from this finding, a biopsy, or mediastinoscopy with biopsy, can be considered to obtain a sample of the tissue.
These options can be discussed with your personal physician or pulmonologist.
Follow up with your doctor is mandatory.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Immune Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.