Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

Residual fibrosis in lung

User Profile
i am 22 years old, last week i have my medical examination and they have found out that i have a residual fibrosis at right upper lung.. i wonder how i get that.. i am healthy..
my mom also examined last march that she has a residual fibrosis in right upper lung.. is that the reason why i got this? from my genes? i am worried for my sons health what if he got this also?

i am planning to work abroad , but im afraid i cant pass because of this.. can it be cured? is it fatal? im still young, i still have a lot of dreams to do, but because of this im losing hope.. please help me

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied May 7th, 2013
Lung Cancer Answer A43303
Hello,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

I can understand your concern but residual fibrosis is not hereditary. Residual means the fibrosis was left behind as permanent scarring of the lungs, after whatever disease was gone which occurs usually after infections.

If you have a localized areas of fibrosis in that one lung, you are asymptomatic, and it is not enlarging or otherwise changing on serial x-rays then there is nothing to worry about.

For fibrosis, chances of "removal" or cure depends on the cause. If no cause is known, less chance for resolution. diopathic fibrosis or IPF has no FDA approved meds at present. A new drud is been use at present in clinical trials & N acetyl cysteine been used in Europe.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Start here for facts about lung cancer. We help you understand lung anatomy and outline the different types of lung cancer that doctors diagnose....
Doctors know that smoking tobacco damages the lungs. But does smoking cause lung cancer? And are smoker more at risk of lung cancer than non-smokers? More here....
Early lung cancer symptoms can be difficult to spot. Learn how to identify signs and symptoms and know when to seek medical help for lung cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lung Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.