Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Repetitive dreams of dizziness (Page 1)

Hi there, im not looking for any sort of cure for this. I just keep having these dreams; the dream is generally normal except for the fact that I can't stop walking/running into things, am extremely dizzy, my vision is blurred, and i feel totally out of control. It feels horrible. Usually it happens when I've been sleeping for too long and I usually wake up right after this sort of dream. I'm just wondering if there is any physical/medical reason for this. I keep asking people on other sites and they resorting to some dream dictionary answer like dizziness symbolizes lack of control in your life but I do not believe any of this. Is there a reason why this happens?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Sounobvious
|

replied March 11th, 2010
Dizzy dreams?
I am having the same dreams. They are like my normal, run of the mill dreams, but I keep getting dizzy and falling. Last night, when I was dreaming but realized I was dreaming, I lied and told the people in my dream that I had a middle ear infection to explain my falling down. This has been happening for over a year and it's very disconcerting. I don't believe in a blanket dream symbol explanation as we're all different and different symbols have different meanings to everyone. If you discover anything, I'd like to know.
|

replied April 1st, 2010
I have had the same type of dreams off and on for about 10 years. So glad to hear I am not the only one. Just had one last night after a long lapse without one. It is the weirdest, annoying thing-- and it feels so real! Please post if you find any more info and I will do the same.
|

replied June 19th, 2012
Hello everyone, It seems as if this post is rather dated, however, I will post and see if I get any responses anyway. A lot of my dreams are strange like that too. I have dreams where I cannot stand up, as if I am crazy drunk or something. In the dream, it is almost impossible to remain standing without falling down. I get other strange sensations in dreams as well, where the whole dream is oriented sideways or at a 45 degree angle. Basically, when i am in a standing position in this dream, I will feel like i am rotated 45 degrees or sometimes 90 degrees. I am not sure if this is a medical issue or just something else. While it may or may not have anything to do with the balance issue in my dreams, I have also been known to be able to lucid dream and have even taken control of a dream's outcome. Sorry if it sounds nuts or crazy, but if anyone knows anything about this at all, it would be awesome. Thanks!
|

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2012
Sleeping-dreaming-dizziness: these do go together often
Hi everybody,

It is my pleasure to respond to your questions. Your experiences are all very similar to patients that I have treated during my career.

My specialty is cranial mandibular pain management, TMJ dysfunction and sleep disorders.

Although, not common, these issues relate to a combination temporomandibular joint malalignment with inflammation exerting pressure on the inner ear.

Initially found during my patient's sleep studies, significant reduction in frequency and shape of the normal sleep patterns results in significantly reduced time and instability in REM cycles.

In each patient it was the TMJ problems that began this process. As a result of these findings, all patients with sleep disorders are given a thorough temporomandibular joint and craniofacial bone examination prior to the sleep study.

These issues need to be checked out professionally. Find out exactly what's going on.

Dr. Paul
Specializing in facial injuries and pain, corrective jaw surgery, wisdom tooth removal, dental implants, bone grafting, and TMJ
|

replied July 5th, 2017
What if I only feel these issues after my weird "out of it" dream? When I woke up my jaw hurt really bad, I couldn't bite down, and my right ear hurt. But it's only after these intense dreams. So what if the dream just made me clench down? I'm not really sure. I do realize while I'm awake that I bite down some. But the symptoms of TMJ don't happen everyday.
|

replied January 4th, 2013
I have actually just woke up, and googled this. I was surprised as well to see so many people with the same problem. I am dreaming that I have this dizzy feeling, where it feels almost like a weight attached to the back of my head so I keep falling down. It doesn't happen too often, but im 28 years old and have had this as a reoccurring dream on and off for many, many years now. It's quite disturbing. I have also noticed it is associated with stress levels in my life. In my dream it is always something important I would be trying to do when this happens as well. This past one I was at a previous boyfriends house waiting for him (we recently had a bad break up, he was a drug addict) and was waiting for him to get home, meanwhile I had over $400 stolen from me, and trying to call police and because I fell, my cell phone dropped and smashed. The others were while I was on vacation, or with family. I hate this dream! I am so glad (well not glad for us that we have to deal with this horrible thing) that I am not alone. I have been reading that it is associated with stress levels, because I do not have TMJ. Has anyone else notices stress levels playing a part or being somewhere in the dream that causes stress in real life or would be important to not seem in this intoxicated state? Phew, glad I am awake and its done!
|

replied February 24th, 2013
Extremely dizzy during multiple consecutive dreams
Last night was the first time I've experienced this feeling. I recorded 8 dreams in a row - all different - but in each one I was intensely dizzy with wobbly vision, unable to stand without support, very panicked, and under threat of death. I woke up immediately after each dream. I did drink alcohol prior to sleeping, but not an extraordinary amount. I am stressed in life, but again, not in an unusual way. This is a very bizarre experience for me. I am glad to be able to share mine and learn from yours. Thank you all!
|

replied February 25th, 2013
Disoriented Feeling upon waking from "dizzy" or "
Wow.. like the rest of you, I'm glad I'm not the only one.. I've just started getting these dreams within the last 6 months or so.. nothing significant in my life has changed that much, I lost a family member, but I've lost others in the past and it didn't trigger this reaction. I've gained some weight since I moved to the city (chicago), but I doubt this dream style is exclusive to overweight individuals. I don't have anything to stress about (other than my weight lol). I'm 21 years old, have a loving relationship and a normal social life.

My dreams usually consist of a gathering of friends or people I know in which for whatever reason I will become COMPLETELY unable to stand... The worst part about it, in these dreams I usually become aware that I am dreaming, but I'm then unable to even wake myself up as per usual when in a dream I'm uncomfortable with. Often times I'll awake feeling a little nauseous and can't quite get my baring. I just woke up this morning from a dream like this and I was having a hard time finding any information. I don't think I have anything like TMJ or what-have you.. and there shouldn't be anything wrong with my balance seeing as I'm fine when I'm awake. The dream I had this morning was of myself in an elevator with a couple people I knew.. and then I all of a sudden kept slamming from wall to wall trying to maintain my balance.. The others in the dream could see me falling and unable to stand, but they seemed either un-phased by it or were ignoring me as if I was having some kind of mental fit.

I think the most frustrating part is that I can never wake myself up and am then cursed to wake up feeling sick and uneasy. These dreams make me really uncomfortable considering I used to interpret my dreams when I was younger, but I've never come across something like this. If there is anything that anyone knows or if they've found something I couldn't please do email me. I'm legitimately worried about this.

-Tami.
|

replied March 5th, 2013
Hello,
I think it kind a psychological problem so you better show it to doctor..
|

replied December 4th, 2013
Dr. Paul

I have not been diagnosed but have recently looked into why my right jaw clicks and sometimes locks, it sounds just like TMJ. I also have these dreams quite frequently. Dreams where I can''t stand or walk without falling over, as if I just stepped off one of those playground spinning things... These two could be related? I know your ears have a lot to do with your equilibrium, but I never thought to connect it with my dreams considering I''m not actually going anywhere.. Please respond, I''ll be checking back.
|

replied December 18th, 2013
A dream just like yours allmost
wow I had a crazy one similar to yours , but in mine i believed I was in 2 places at the same time and everytime in the dream when i started thinkin on my own and trying to proove that I was then i started to get really dizzy and just fell over again and again .. I woke up instantly closed my eyes and went back to the same room same dream with the same people in it , the second time these people noticed i was falling down and was like what ,so I woke up the second time and the third time I went in I tried to give my cell number to the man in the dream ,but wierdly I couldnt talk anymore and i woke up again ,being afraid of going back there.. And now everytime I think about the dream of any place of it , I get these shivers all over mybody ... if ur interested in hearing more , ty Kert
|

replied December 18th, 2013
Dr Paul, thanks for sharing your knowledge.
That could explain why I had like 4-5 of these dizzy dream where I couldnt stand or walk without falling, and everything in the dream was just spinning around all the time, just like my sense of balance was out of control.
During the same year I had problems with swollen lymph glands between my ears and the joints of the jaw, causing my jaw to lock and limit the movement of my jaw and it to be painful and hard to chew.
|

replied September 11th, 2014
Hello all,
i'm glad too some people have similar experiences too.
i have such type of dreams quite often..although i don't fall or lose my equilibrium, i'm just too "drunk" to think clearly, understand what others says to me or to answer them appropriately.
In my dreams nothing spins, but my vision becomes more and more obfuscated, dark, it happens sometimes that it gets so dark that i barely see the surroundings of figures or people or i end to be completely in a dark space.
Sometimes i also hear a noise that gets louder and louder until i woke up..it can be any noise, from much people talking together to some sort of music.
I saw there is a syndrome called "exploding head" but in that you hear a bang and i never heard it.
In common with this syndrome there is the fact that i always wake up with fear..
sometimes in my dream i understand what it's happening and i try to wake up, i succed in it, but it's quite difficoult.
Googling around on dreamsymbolism i read that it can be caused by a lack of confidency, and i hate to admin that it can be my case..
|

replied November 12th, 2014
Dreams of Dizziness and Spinning
I just read everything you all have posted and I have been experiencing the same problems as well. Last night I dreamt that I was dizzy and spinning as if I were "drunk" but had zero control. All of a sudden the spinning turned into a tornado that sucked me around and around in my room until spinning slowly back to my bed. I reached for my night stand light and it would not turn on. I started to panic and tried to get to my friends room which is 12 feet away but I couldn't. It was if something was literally dragging me back. Then I tried to turn the light on again and again but it would not light up although it was plugged in and working. Finally I awoke from my dream and was terrified and reached for my light and it turned on. But when I was finally awake my eyes felt so heavy and I still felt dizziness. My eyes wanted to shut but when they shut I felt the dizziness come right back so I forced them to stay awake until I fell asleep to a movie because I was too scared. I felt very uneasy and the this dizziness type of dream has happened multiple times before, but just not the same scenario. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions to what could be going on. Thank you!
|

replied November 20th, 2014
Balanced diet & enough rest can help relieve the problem.
|

replied April 11th, 2015
Hello. Just woke up from having my first ever "dizzy" dreams. I had several dreams that were completely " ormal" with the exception that I couldn't even walk straight, kept falling into things and had this overall feeling of being sick 5o my stomach. I actually woke up feeling sick. I never usually look up dreams but last night I actually had my first ever actupuncture session with a french doctor who practices Chinese medecine. Thinking this could be connected I looked my dreams up. I'll also note that I have braces and a misalignment of the jaw. ..hence tmj. But I've had braces to correct this for over a year and a half and have never had these dreams. So, because I've had all kinds of back problems as a result of the tmj and because I was hoping the actupuncture actually resulted in a miracle breakthrough in my body I thought I'd post and ask;p
|

replied July 14th, 2015
Hi there,

I am having the same dreams.
And it had happened a lot the last year.
It's always the same. Like any other dreams except that I feel dizzy, I can barely walk and It looks as if I were super drunk. Usually in my dreams I am worried that someone's gonna think I'm intoxicated with alcohol and I try to act normal but it is impossible.
Last week I felt that way in my dream, but at the very end of it, immediately after I started to feel that way I was able to wake up.
Right now, I just woke up and it was awful. I couldn't stand up nd everything was moving around my head, I fell off the couch and then tried to stand up but fell on to the floor and I was yelling to my uncle that I wasn't drunk! Just after that I woke up. I felt relieved that it was a dream. I always feel relieved tht it was just a dream.
What I hate about this dizzy dreams is that I wake up feeling tired, fatigued and my heart hurts.

I was wonderin if maybe I was the only one and it was just a random thing, but it's good to know there are other people with the same experiences.
|

replied July 14th, 2015
Hi there,

I am having the same dreams.
And it had happened a lot the last year.
It's always the same. Like any other dreams except that I feel dizzy, I can barely walk and It looks as if I were super drunk. Usually in my dreams I am worried that someone's gonna think I'm intoxicated with alcohol and I try to act normal but it is impossible.
Last week I felt that way in my dream, but at the very end of it, immediately after I started to feel that way I was able to wake up.
Right now, I just woke up and it was awful. I couldn't stand up nd everything was moving around my head, I fell off the couch and then tried to stand up but fell on to the floor and I was yelling to my uncle that I wasn't drunk! Just after that I woke up. I felt relieved that it was a dream. I always feel relieved tht it was just a dream.
What I hate about this dizzy dreams is that I wake up feeling tired, fatigued and my heart hurts.

I was wonderin if maybe I was the only one and it was just a random thing, but it's good to know there are other people with the same experiences.
|

replied July 14th, 2015
Dizzy-Sleeping-Dream
I know this post is extremely out-dated but I keep having a dream like that. I get this dream that I'm in a box flying in midair and I collide with another box. When we collide we start spinning and thats when I wake up. I wake up out of control of my body, and I am extremely dizzy and I feel like I might puke. Its repetitive and its getting highly annoying.
|

replied September 6th, 2015
i always dream im a complete falling down drunk, who cant stand for more then a second and keep blacking out, i have a problem with my left ear, maybe thats why i keep having these dreams
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.