Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Relationships and addiction?

User Profile
I know this sounds bad, but how can I convice my girlfriend that I won't ever take pills again? I mean, I was addicted to cutting a lot and a really impulsive drinker, but when she was sick of it and told me to stop, I went cold turkey and never did it since. Its been a few weeks without any of that, when i'd usually cut a few times a day and drink anything I could get. I casually drink now and get drunk, but only with her when she knows its not out of depression or anything. She's really worried, and I know I can drop the pills. How can I convince her that I mean it? I already threw out all my pills and won't even take so much as advil now.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 22nd, 2013
Spend as much time as possible with her...when she will find that you are not taking any drink or pills,spending the maximum time of the day with her, she will realize that you are not addicted any more.
|

replied July 24th, 2013
Experienced User
Trust is very important in any relationship..If she truely loves you, she will believe you..Try talking to her and convince her to give you one last chance..Also try and spend maximum time with her, so she will realize you mean it...
|

replied September 24th, 2013
I believe you will have to try a little harder to convince her that you are over with your drinking as well as the pill addiction.It seems to be a nice idea that you spend as much time possible as you can,with her,so that she realizes that you are sticking to your word.I feel if you really love her then it should not be very difficult for you.Give it your best shot,I know you will succeed.
|

replied October 3rd, 2013
Make yourself a trustworthy guy to her, to whom she can easily rely & finds you dependable. But before proving yourself to her, feel the crave of leaving useless habit from your life, that you can also stay without your addiction days & at the same time can make her happy & stay happy too.
|

replied October 3rd, 2013
Make yourself a trustworthy guy to her, to whom she can easily rely & finds you dependable. But before proving yourself to her, feel the crave of leaving useless habit from your life, that you can also stay without your addiction days & at the same time can make her happy & stay happy too.
|

replied December 17th, 2013
In my opinion you should obtain her full sport to get rid of the mentioned addiction. It is very nice that you are spending a lot of time with her but still if you feel any sort of withdrawal symptoms or you have difficulty managing your detox period then go for a professional opinion and don't forget to take her along as she can be a very strong significant other from your treatments perspective.
|

replied December 17th, 2013
You have a very strong bond with her make it your strength and never hide anything from her. She would be more than pleased to help you any time just build faith with her and whenever you feel an urge to have pills or any sort of such stuff call her if possible if you get through to her and you meet her urgently you both will feel great.
|

replied October 28th, 2014
Experienced User
Alcohol and drug abuse is the source of many problems for those who engage in this behavior.
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....