Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Rejection of a hernia repair

User Profile
My Wife had surgery to repair six hernias on March 12th 2009, a mesh was used. She has had an ongoing problem with what seems to be her body rejecting the mesh. She gets these sores that open up on her belly and weep pus.One will heal up and shortly after another one will open up. She has taken Antibiotics for it, it clears up but comes back. Is this a sign the mesh is causing a problem?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2010
Hernia Answer A12339
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that your wife experiences.

In hernia repairs the mesh that is used is placed between the muscle wall and the subcutaneous tissue. As the individual moves the mesh causes irritation of the subcutaneous tissue and initiates inflammation which has to result with formation of fibrous tissue. If the cut becomes infected with bacteria infection may appear which negatively affects the healing process. Individuals may show intolerance of the surgical threads and react with production of pus.

Given the data that you described, your wife may or may not be experiencing the symptoms due to rejection of the mesh. She may consider seeing abdominal surgeon to rule out or confirm possible rejection of the mesh. She may also need to have a bacterial culture with an antibiogram from the opened sores to rule out possible additional infection.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please advise your wife to contact her doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as an abdominal surgeon for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.