Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

Regurgitating milk after eating

User Profile
my one month old baby girl has been diagnosed with colic and reflux she has been given zantac and has been put on alimentum, she seems to be doing better on the formula but she has been taking the zantac for a week and it doesnt seem to be helping yet , she has had a couple of episodes where she will start turning red and she cant breathe and we pick her up and lean her forward and rub her back until she can breathe or cries. she also seems to have alot of nasal congestion when this happens and she has alot of saliva in her mouth so i use the aspirator for her nose. this scares us really bad when this happens because we don't know why this is happening! please help

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2010
Newborn Babies Answer A14010
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of symptoms that your daugther experiences and how you can treat them.

Most babies after feeding regurgitate (small amounts of milk come back into their esophagus and mouth). During feeding babies swallow small amounts of air together with the milk. This air collects in their stomach, distends the gastric muscles and causes infants to regurgitate when it is released through the throat. During these regurgitations, infants may inhale, particles of milk may end up in the lungs and cause present suffocation, which is characterized by changing of the color of their skin from normal to red or livid. Colic in infants may appear due to several conditions: hunger, alimentary infection or other medical conditions of the alimentary canal or urinary tract infection.

According to the data that you provided, your baby experiences reflux and episodes of suffocation. Keep your daughter in your arms in an upward position after feeding her and tapping her gently until the air that she swallows is released through her mouth. In these moments she may regurgitate small amounts of milk, which is normal. You may also consider putting her down on her side, to avoid suffocation in case she regurgitates milk.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact her doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment of your daugther's current condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Newborn Babies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.