User Profile
I keep hearing about how going to bed at the same time and waking up at the same time is important in helping to stabilize BP. I have had a near impossible time doing this. Does anyone stick to a regular sleep schedule and what have you noticed? Does it help?

~soucie
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
It is thought that people suffering from bipolar disorder or unipolar depression and anxiety, have particularly sensitive biological clocks.
All events that disrupt their daily routines and sleep-wake cycles are associated with new onsets of illness.
Leading life with regular daily routines (bedtimes, mealtimes, and other routines), will protect bipolar patients from new episodes.

There are some clinical studies that have shown this approach to be beneficial.
|

User Profile
replied October 24th, 2008
Advanced Support Team
Hi Soucie,
I have noticed that whenever I do manage to achieve a regular sleep cycle, especially one in which I am able to awake with the sunrise, my mind and my body are simply ecstatic!

However, doing so takes alot of willpower, and a dramatic change of lifestyle. (For example - not going out late on the weekends. That's usually the part that knocks me out of rhythm. (Friday night! Smile
|

User Profile
replied October 26th, 2008
Experienced User
Great. So how the hell do I manage to force myself to go to bed at a regular time and wake up at a regular time each day?

I swear to goodness, it's like I have to be totally alone because if there is anyone around me to sway my decision to stay up or sleep in, I will not be able to hold my ground. If I'm with someone who wakes up early or goes to bed early then I'm fine, but I'm so furious at my inability to stick up for myself and do what is so clearly in my best interest. What the freakin' hell is wrong with me?

I don't even go out anymore. I just stay home all the time now working on the computer. I can be talking on IM with someone until midnight about nothing at all and simply not be able to end the conversation.

I hate it. I hate it. I really cannot understand why I cannot do what is best for me.
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Start slowly.
Don't expect big changes at once.
Courage to do something is usually not losing the will to try once more.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied October 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
MandMs is right. Keep in mind once you begin to follow a schedule your body will quickly adjust and you will be tired at the designated time and will wake up with little trouble. Getting enough sleep is very important. Adults need 7-8 hrs. The latest studies indicate that 7 hrs. is the optimal amount of sleep for neurological and cardiac health. Go by how you feel.

I know forcing yourself to go to bed at a set time is difficult. I am guilty of letting the external world or others influence me as well. You just need to look at this as part of your overall treatment plan for bp. In the long run it will help.
|

replied November 1st, 2008
Bipolar
Hello Soucie,

Most any illness or disease is most likely caused from the lack of proper nutrients in your body. A good nutritional program can usually reverse all kinds of ailments.

I am involved in such a program and I can put you in touch with someone I personally know who had the same illness as you. Before you go to your doctor about your health problem and he puts you on a prescription drug, let me
encourage you to spend the time talking to someone who has the same ailment
as you and reversed their health condition. Believe me, you will be glad you did.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I'm done a little exploring with the Avuyedic approaches; very interested in that and anything else that is natural. So yes, Saassoc - either PM me or post here an info you may have. I'm currently on meds, but I'd love to find a way to get off of them if at all possible. To me, the meds are a last resort.

The last three or four nights, I have managed to get myself to bed by 11:00 pm and I've been waking up easily at 6:30 am. Still tired throughout the day though. Perhaps I need an earlier bedtime. I was really hoping that I would only need 7 hours.
|

BP
Hello Soucie,

If you give me your phone number I will three-way you into my contact tonight
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied November 7th, 2008
Sleep
What's worked for me...

I try to keep regular sleeping hours. However...these hours are not set in stone. I will make exceptions to the regular schedule when I would derive more pleasure from whatever causes me to skip my regular schedule than if I were to stick to my bed time hours. For example, I would not skip "bed time" for a TV program or IMing. But I would probably for a party or if I'm out camping or if I'm participating in an activity I enjoy. This way, I;m regular most of the time but I don't prevent myself from enjoying the things I like doing.

However, this doesn't work for everyone and some people need a regular sleep schedule....
|
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....