User Profile
I have poor (degrading)nearsightedness and don't wear corrective lenses. Should I have lasik? Back in April 07 I barely passed my driver's license vision exam.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 26th, 2009
Vision and Eye Disorders Answer A5887
Wearing eyeglasses is the most practical solution but if the refractor anomaly is severe or there is a big difference between the eyes you could try contact lenses. Wearing contact lenses requires great responsibility while dealing with them and brings a risk for injuries and infections if not maintained according to the regulations.

Lasik (laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis) is a type of refractive laser eye surgery for correcting myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism. Lasik may be followed by these complications: dry eyes, overcorrection or undercorrection, visual acuity fluctuation, halos or starbursts around light sources at night, light sensitivity, ghost images or double vision, wrinkles in flap (striae), decentered ablation, debris or growth under flap, thin or buttonhole flap, induced astigmatism, corneal ectasia, floaters, epithelium erosion, posterior vitreous detachment, macular hole, etc.

The FDA has approved Lasik for age 18 and over. More importantly, the person's eye refractor anomaly needs to be stable for two years prior to surgery.

You could consult an ophthalmologist about this.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vision and Eye Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.