Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

reddish brown stuff in saliva after waking up?

Hi, I am a 26-year old male from India. Of late, when I am waking up after an afternoon nap post-lunch, I have saliva collected in my mouth and when I spit it out in the basin, the foamy saliva has a spot or a streak of deep red/brownish stuff in it, that looks like blood but i am not sure about it. This does not happen regularly but after every 2-3 days and of the several times it happened, only twice was in the morning after a night's sleep. All the other times, it was after the post-lunch siesta. I don't know why is this happening as i don't even smoke or drink or chew tobacco. Is it some sort of GERD? Please help as to what should I do. I had a history of deudenal erosion (mild ulcers) due to intake of NSAID's (Ecosprin) but that problem has been resolved after stopping that medication and having proton pump inhibitors like Pan-40 every morning. Also, I have a few loose gums around my lower row of incisors. But they bleed only if I brush vigorously or probe them with fingers. Haven't seen any blood from them or experienced any discomfort when trying to determine the source of the reddish brown saliva. Also, I am a chronic kidney disease patient but I'm not on dialysis nor have I got a transplant yet. I am only dependent on restricted diet and medication. I have glomerulonephritis and left renal artery stenosis and my serum creatinine is at 7-7.5 mg/dL. However my CBC, potassium, sodium and fasting blood sugar levels are all absolutely fine. I have an AV Fistula done in left forearm and I don't have any symptoms whatsoever except foamy protein urine and hypertension (140/100 mmHg). The medicines that I take are Pan-40, Nicardia-r 20, Minipress XL, Livogen, Betaloc, Nodosis and Gemcal. Kindly advice.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 22nd, 2018
Hello and welcome to ehealth forum

The symptoms you mentioned can be due to gastroesophegeal reflux disease which is conokatoble with your history of NSAIDS intake. It can also be due to bleeding of gums as you mentioned in your history about the teeth being lose, probably a disease called gingivitis. Maintain good oral hygiene and visit a dentist, sleep with you head end elevated and consult your primary physician.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Dr Khalil
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Diet
Quick Reply
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acid Reflux , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.