Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Red spot in genital area

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
ive i had a little red spot within my genital area, 1st assumed it was a in growing hair after wax/shaving. The spot remained the same for a few days but becoming painful when sitting /walking i had unprotected sex i went straight the gum clinic for relevant tests, where i was told that spot was an in growing hair which had turned into a abscess and that i also had thrush. I was told the abscess was getting better and was given antibiotics and thrush pill. 2nd day into the antibiotics, this spot has grown as large as little finger and is very sore and painful (burning pains), cannot sit down at all, I also noticed i now had a few more red spots along the other side and some very small paper cut little spot – like little blisters. Overnight ive ensured my genital area as been kept dry and that air is getting to this area, whereby now the larger sore area area is getting a scab but is very sore, red and swollen. Other spots remain but look like very small cold sores.pls advise

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 4th, 2009
Sexual Health - Women Answer A7443
Welcome to the forum!
If you are sexually active and have a history of unprotected sex then your symptoms (painful red spot that increased in size and appearance of other blisters) is suggestive of genital herpes. Maybe there is accompanying fugal (thrush) infection too. You need to get a STD panel done. Genital herpes can flare up even years after the initial contact.
The other possibility is an abscess. This in presence of a fungal infection can flare up. Also if you have diabetes, this can spread and be more aggressive.
However without examining it is difficult to give a confirmed diagnosis on net. Please discuss this with your gynecologist and do as advised. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.