Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Red rashes on shoulders and arm

User Profile
Hi, i've these red rashes around my shoulders and below my arm. Usually when this appears i'll just leave it for a few days and it will usually go off but this time it stayed almost for 5 days now. It gives a bumpy feeling when you touches it like a swell and it doesn't itches at first but when i scratches it, it will start to itch and the itch just get worst and worst. Another thing is that it is light red at first and after I scratches it it swells up and have a really intense red like it was being stung. Please help me on this, i've been getting sleepless nights because if this.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 2nd, 2009
Skin Answer A8167
Hi,
It is very difficult to confirm a diagnosis without examination but since you are providing the history that it recurs often, so contact dermatitis needs to be ruled out. It is the reaction of the skin to irritants or allergens. Other possibilities which can present with such itchy rash on shoulders and arms are hives(which can appear due to idiopathic causes), heat rash, eczema, seborrheic dermatitis, and viral infections. Even dry skin or xerosis can cause such itchy rashes.

Treatment is diagnosis specific and hence you should consult a dermatologist to get it examined. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and regards.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.