Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Red rash around groin area

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
I have a slight blotchy redish rash that forms around my groin area. It is not itchy, there is no pain, it is dry and the skin is not broken. I can describe it as a slight change in color from the skin surrounding it. The rash is only affected in the area around my underwear. I play a lot of sports that involve movment of the legs. I always assumed that it was some sort of sweat induced friction rash...however like I said there is no pain or discomfort. I do trim my pubic hair and I do notice an increase in rash when it grows back at a certain length. I have tried buying OTC skin creams and nothing seems to get rid of this. Any thoughts on what this is?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2010
Skin Answer A10375

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the non itchy red rash in the groins. Since the non itchy, chances are that it is due to chafing or friction rub or sweat dermatitis. Chafing is a skin irritation caused by repeated rubbing. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. Also wear cotton undergarments. Application of mild corticosteroid cream and oral antiinflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful.

If the symptoms are severe then it will be best to consult a dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.