Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

Recurring Pnuemonia, fevers, sinusitis, neutropenia,

I hope someone here can give me some support/help. My son is 6 years old and has been sick since he was 6 months old. Starting @ 6 months he started running high fevers of (104-105) for at least a week at a time every 2 weeks. During this time he also had several sinus infections, upper respiratory infections, a blood infection that required hospitalization, and a mysterious rash. He did this until he was about 1 1/2 then it stopped suddenly for 6 months. Then at 2 it started all over again. He started having pneumonia that required serious interventions at home and one hospitalization, throat infections (not positive for strep though), and chronic sinusitis. At 3 (after rescheduling 3 times because of illness) he had his tonsils and adenoids removed. After that surgery we were admitted to the hospital for a week because he couldn't recover no matter how much we tried and helped him. Then he seemed better for 6 to 7 months, except his sinusitis because of allergies. We saw and allergist that prescribed an adult dosage of Zyrtec and that helps 1/2 a day when his allergies are bad. In September of last year he had to pneumonia they tried every medicine for but nothing helped and it kept getting worse. We were admitted and it took several rounds of strong antibiotics and a week of strong antibiotics at home. Since then he's had pneumonia 3 or 4 times (Ive lost count), croup that required steroids and breathing treatments, sinusitis that requires antibiotics because he gets so sick. Then about a month ago we had to see an oncologist because his numbers dropped so low during a fever episode. He had severe neutropenia (dropped to 500), abnormal platelets, way low WBC, etc. They did every test including bone marrow biopsy and still can't figure out what happened. We are so tired of infection after infection. He hasn't gained weight since 2011, seem to get tired easier (can sleep 13+ hours if we let him), has constant dark circles under his eyes, and blood shot eyes everyday. Anyone else had a child like this? If necessary I can post his labs from the last visits and hospitalization with our Infectious Disease doctor. Please help!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 31st, 2013
Oh I forgot he had on serious eye infection that required to different antibiotics and staph on his elbow from a scrape and cuts seem to take longer to heal on him. He also has headaches that cause light sensitivity and has become much more grouch lately (could be age with that one though)
|
Did you find this post helpful?