I had a bile duct stricture about four years ago. They did an ERCP and opened it. They told me they had no idea why I had it, but I would never have it again. Well in December of last year (a couple of days before Christmas), I was in a lot of pain and went to ER. They ran all these tests and then came running in and telling me I had another bile duct stricture, stones in the bile duct and sludge in gallbladder. They started telling me I had to have an ERCP and might need a Whipple procedure. My son has chronic pancreatitis so I know that's serious. Well I had the ERCP and they opened the stricture again. But the surgeon said that he wants to know why I am having these strictures. My GI who did the ERCP's doesn't seem concerned. He just said I will probably be getting these and have to come in and get ERCP's to open them up. The surgeon talked about putting stents in and a bunch of other things that was over my head.

The surgeon wants me to have another ERCP and have the GI doc do some brushings. I guess the main things that cause strictures are chronic pancreatitis which I don't have, complications from gallbladder surgery which I haven't had and cancer. But I doubt it's cancer as I had a stricture 4 years ago.

I'm concerned about having so many ERCP's but surgeon said collocations were not as prevalent in repeat procedures. It's all confusing to me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 25th, 2013
Same here
I am up at 2am with upper abdominal pain. Very similar to the pain i got 2 years again when i had a bile duct stricture that required me to get an ERCP to open it back up. Followed by 2 more to put larger stents in, then a final one to take it out. I am in the exact same boat as you. They told all the same reasons why these strictures generally occur but that mine was not due to any of them. They did say that if it came back, they would probably want to put a permanent stent in. Which i do not want as i was constantly sick, low grade fevers, when i had the temporary stents in

I don't know how aweful your experience was the first time through, but i am dreading another go round. Please post a reply to let me know how things have turned out.
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2016
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. ERCP is both diagnostic and therapeutic. It could be chronic pancreatitis or cholangitis. They may consider a stent even as well. Whipple may be indicated if pancreas is involved. Let your doctor decide what si best for you. Till then supporitve care and symptomatic treatment only.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bile Duct Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.