Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Recovery from psychosis NOS

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
I am diagnosed schizoaffective/schizophrenia and was recently in a psychosis from the schizo. I was on 160mg of geodone for 8 months and it didnt work. For four months I dealt with the most insane, pervasive thought broadcasting, thinking people could hear my thoughts and that I could read theirs. Having horrible negative thoughts and panic attacks all the time. I had a psychotic episode back in 2003 for 9 months and remembered that I took abilify and xanax and that it stopped the episode. So i called my doctor and her her put me on abilify. I thought abilify took four weeks to work, but i got the dissolvable tablets and immediatley noticed a change. The thoughts were way less frequent and the hallucinations before bed were totally gone. I still have visual disturbances tho. Which might be unrelated. My body is so in shock and exhausted after having been in an episode and stayed sober for 4 months through it. Has anyone else experienced a psychotic episode and the recovery process? Did you feel exhausted after wards? My mind feels fried!! I dont know what to do now that all this garbage is gone! I almost reach for it expecting it to be there, and its not there and my mind tries to create it! That's the power of the mind! needless to say the abilify has worked wonders...but now i cant get off the geodone cuz im addicted to it for sleeping. Geodone is one nasty drug that did nothing for me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2010
I feel ya on the geodone, it put me in the hospital with poison symptoms! (it was pretty gross) I am 31, male, and also have schizophrenia. I have been through several lengthy periods of psychosis and I understand just what you are talking about. Yes, I felt exhausted when everything calmed down, and I had the same feeling of not knowing what to do with all of the time that I spent watching for the CIA Smile Really the only thing I can tell you is that it passed, after I settled down with a medication (Seroquel XR)and I got over the shock of what I had just been through things started to line up again. You mentioned that you stayed sober for 4 months, keep yourself sober, it will help with your recovery and overall prognosis (don't get me wrong, I'm no saint, but it does help if you do drink or whatever don't go overboard) And do things you enjoy, try new things. I know it sounds silly but keeping your mind occupied is a good thing, find things that make you happy, be it taking walks, playing an instrument, writing, whatever, just keep yourself busy. I am glad to hear that you are on the brighter side of your experience, I hate to say it but it takes time, but what you do with that time will make a difference. Feel free to post your progress too, success stories are always nice to see on a schizophrenia forum!! I wish you the best, keep in touch.
|

replied February 9th, 2010
I had an episode of psychosis and afterwards I was exhausted for about a year. I could easily sleep 15 hours a night and was tired all day. My doc told me that was pretty normal as people need more sleep after a psychosis. Good luck.
|

replied April 1st, 2010
psychotic episode average duration and treatment
Hello jenuine,
My mother is experiencing a delusional episode ( since 28.03.2010), the first in the last 7 years and about the 8th in the last 20 years.
The last one lasted for 5 months (the previous ones between 3days-3 weeks!). She was in this confused state, a maximum dose of zyprexa daily got her out of the crisis (diagnosed with atypical schizophrenia for almost 20 years now). Her treating doctor gave her solian 400mg in addition to zyprexa 30 mg. We see no real improvment (maybe less agitation-physically, but the mental confusion is unchanged). My question is: how long shall we wait with this combination before seeing results? when is it a good moment to declare she is not responsive (after 1,2,3 wks or more?) to this drugs and change the neuroleptics (maybe zyprexa + abilify as a second doctor suggested?). How long does an acute episode last on average (I find 5 months like last time unacceptable)? How damaging is a longer episode? Thanks so much
Many thanks for your answers.
|

replied May 19th, 2010
hi there. i also suffered from delusional episodes, schizophrenia,psychosis as well as panic attacks.i was given solian 400mg and felt immediately better afterwards.i was able to sleep better and the hallucinations were put to a minimum but i have been taking the solian meds for 3 years now.the side effects included drowsiness,amenorrhea and weight gain.right now i can say that i feel better and have already taken the meds off. however,when i was still newly diagnosed with the disease, i took solian for about 6 months only and then stopped.the schizo disease returned so i got back on the meds but after 3 years of continuously taking the meds, i am ok already.hope this helps.right now i am busying myself trying to lose the 70 lbs i gained from the meds..
|

replied October 21st, 2010
zyprexa
I had a psychosis last spring. It lasted for about ten days before I went to the ER and was committed to the hospital and given a 20 mg dose of Zyprexa and Celexa. After taking the Zyprexa for two or three days my every day reality started to seem much more normal again and I was able to sleep and relax. I stopped taking the Zyprexa almost immediately after being discharged. I cut the dosage in half for a while and then stopped completely because it is not good for you physically. I also stopped smoking marijuana which is linked up strongly to my psychosis episodes. I am all right now but I find that it takes a long time to heal and feel better from the experience because it is so different from normal every day reality, coming back down to earth is actually quite a bit of a downer for me and I get really depressed about it and having to quit weed makes it difficult to cope.
|

replied October 21st, 2010
I had a psychosis last spring. It lasted for about ten days before I went to the ER and was committed to the hospital and given a 20 mg dose of Zyprexa and Celexa. After taking the Zyprexa for two or three days my every day reality started to seem much more normal again and I was able to sleep and relax. I stopped taking the Zyprexa almost immediately after being discharged. I cut the dosage in half for a while and then stopped completely because it is not good for you physically. I also stopped smoking marijuana which is linked up strongly to my psychosis episodes. I am all right now but I find that it takes a long time to heal and feel better from the experience because it is so different from normal every day reality, coming back down to earth is actually quite a bit of a downer for me and I get really depressed about it and having to quit weed makes it difficult to cope.
|