Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Recovery & Post-Op Forum

Recovery after orbital floor fracture surgery

What is the recovery like after having surgery for an orbital floor fracture. From what I know they will go underneath the eye to remove the broken bone and place an artificial plate there instead so no external incision but it will be performed under general anaesthesia. Is the recovery quite painful for this sort of thing? Will I be able to move around or be confined to bed for a while? Will I be able to eat as normal? Any information on the recovery would be appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
CassKoll,

You may be a little uncomfortable after the surgery, but your surgeon will provide you with pain medication.

Your eye may be covered for a little while, just to provide it some rest. If this is the case, your depth perception will be affected. Thus, walking down stairs or driving may be difficult for a little while.

You should not have any restrictions on your diet. You may not want to eat crunchy things, as the vibrations may be uncomfortable, till the soreness from the surgery decreases.

Some patient do not feel like eating after general anesthesia and some do develop nausea. But, the anesthesiologist will usually try to avoid this in eye surgery, as the act of vomiting can cause problems. So, if you feel nauseated, you will probably be given some medicine for this.

So, try not to worry about anything too much. If you have any questions, ask your surgeon and/or anesthesiologist before the surgery.

Good luck.
|
Users who thank Gaelic for this post: CassKoll 

replied September 11th, 2013
I have a question about the recovery. My roommate had his orbital floor repaired 6 days ago and he is still having significant pain. Before and directly after the surgery the doctors told us he shouldn't have much pain, but this was not the case. For the first two days he was basically non-functional due to the pain. I mean that he would hardly get out of bed to use the bathroom. Whe the swelling went down his eye started to open up ans revealed a bright red mucus like thing. I'm not sure if this is his actual eye or if its the inside of his eyelids swollen beyond the skin. This showed up around day 3. Yesterday (day 5) it looked like this had gone down a bit which I thought was good but last night it ruptured and there was blood all over the place. The mucus like thing is still there but it's kimd of yellow. He says he's also feeling pressure behind the eye but he's still got full range of motion. The eye is also not looking at the same thing as his healthy eye. For instance, it when he looks at me only one eye is focused on me. I'm just not sure if this is all normal for a week after surgery and his follow up isn't until next week. Thanks
|

replied August 19th, 2014
Hi !

I also had an orbital floor repair. It's just been hours after the surgery but I'm very worried because my operated Eye (right) looks like watching in a totally different direction (up right). I see myself everything down to the left with it. And everything looks smaller too.

Is this normal? Could you tell me how this story about your roommate ended?

Thanks
|

replied April 2nd, 2015
Had orbital floor surgery over 3 years ago And face still feels the same as the day of surgery. Have a numby feel from my eye to my lip. Moving my face feels like it's ripping the insides apart. Touching my face is very painful most of the time. The itching makes you want to rip your skin open to make it stop. Surgeon don't want to talk to me about it anymore and says there's nothing he can do. I feel like there's something bad wrong but don't know where to turn.
|

replied June 12th, 2018
Here is the honest truth- I have had the surgery and let me tell you the recovery is no fun. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain and this is a tough one. You will get through it, but day one and two don’t plan on doing much but laying in bed. Load up on pain meds and sleep as much as possible. Your eyes won’t be tracking the same and it feels like a wicked hangover because you are actually seeing two pictures and your brain is trying to make one. Your eye will ooze a bit and be swollen. Prepare yourself for some not so pretty times. Your face will be numb for awhile. It may take years for your nerves to grow back. It has been 7 years and I still don’t have all the feeling back. I’m alive, and I have my eye and my vision, so I’m grateful.. but man- this was a doozy. Best of luck!
|