Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Recovering Alcoholic and Anxiety

I had major anxiety. Where I panic about something that nothing that needs to be worried about sometimes I will cry if friend leaves. I pace around my mind races I just need something to calm me down. I try to explain this to a doctor that though I am trying to recover from drinking this anxiety makes me wants to drink to calm down (though I know my anxiety is just worse the next day)
well the joy of being a recovering alcoholic is the dr of course does not want to give you any thing that works. Well at least for me I tried valerian root and some other things I dont recall. My dr suggested I see a pshcytrist and she gave me clonazepam. I cant tell if if really works all that well for me. I guess it works somewhat but whem it is really bad it does not put a dent in me.
What works without knocking you out?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 18th, 2012
anxiety in alcoholics
I know this was posted a long tim ago. But i am a recovering alcoholic. In eaely sobriety a dr gave me xanax (only 5 for a month) i did ok witj that but after only one month i learned i was pregnant. What has helped me immensly is al coholics anonymous. I have been sober close to two years now and as long as i keep dping what i should be ( as outlined in the aa program ) anxiety is no lo ger a problem for me.
|

replied July 27th, 2017
Anxiety and depression are bad, really bad. it takes quite a long time to recover from these. My one friend had a acute depression and he had committed suicide for that. But, I think ending life is not a good solution. You can perhaps take help of medical marijuana, several results have shown that consuming medical marijuana can reduce anxiety and depression.Marijuana is not a addictive drug, it can cure several problems.
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...