Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

recent rapid decline in physical fitness

Hi, I am 30 years old and 6 months ago moved from Northern VA to southern NC. I have been very active all my life and have taught sports mainly martial arts for a living. I have been recently been noticing some significant changes and at first attributed it to the move and not being as active, new allergy's and getting older but I'm starting to feel like that there may be something more going on and want to see if I should be going in to see a doctor in person. I have been not as active for about 4 to 5 months and in the last month to month and a half have started to work on being active again, the only thing is I'm running into some issues. I'm noticing a significant decrease in my physical abilities across the board. Less than a year ago I was about to run a 6 min mile and a 12:10 two miles. A month ago I was running a 12 min mile, which I figured I was just out of shape. I've been running rather consistently since and can barely finish a mile. I have been extremely flexible all my life and 6 months ago was fine and a month ago wasn't great but in the last month with stretching I have been losing flexibility. I have been watching my diet and making sure I eat balance and healthy which I have always done but have been watching even more closely. I've been taking allergy medicine and eating local honey with toast to help my body adapt to the new allergens to the area. I used to sleep 6 to 8 hours a day and would be fine with energy and most of the time it was 6 and had lots of energy to spar but the last 2 months I've been needing 10 to 12 hours a night and I am normally exhausted through out the day and can barely stay awake. I feel foggy headed a lot as well and thought that and the energy were just due to allergies but now starting to think it could be due to something else. I had a lot of issues in DC with allergies and it seems like this area was better and doesn't seem like it would cause all these issues I have. The more I workout the worse shape I seem to get in. 3 weeks ago I could do 25 pulls ups no problem and about 75 push ups. I am now struggling to do 10 pull ups and 20 push ups.

What's going on here and what can I do to fix this. Should I go in to the doctors to get this looked at or is it just age, allergies and out of shape?

Sorry for writing so much but I've learned to make sure I tell all symptoms.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2014
I'd see a doctor to make sure that everything is okay (this is most important!). Make sure you meeting your macro nutrient requirements and getting enough sleep, water, and sunlight. I wish I could say more, but without a professional analysis of a blood test, it'd be irresponsible to give any further advice. Good luck to you. I'm sure everything is fine, but it's necessary to get checked. It's amazing what something as simple as a vitamin or mineral deficiency can do to us (and how easy it is to correct once we're aware of it!).
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....