Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Reasons that a baby cries

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
User Profile
my baby was born 7-22-2009 he was a calm baby. Wen i starte nursing it was not good till a week from the day he was born,but then wen he was one month i ate raw food (ceviche) and i put alto of tapatio(chile) and since that day i forgot not to eat that because i nursed so i did and i regret it beceaus everything changed. he would cry cry and cry but 2 weeks later he stopd.
so then i was consern because he is my first baby and i didnt known how every bowl movement is differnt so i thought it was diareah and his doc told me to giv him soy formul so i did and he didnt hav a bowlmovment for 4 dayz.i went to the hospital and they gav me sopositorio and he did right away hav a bowl movement. i feel so bad that he had to go throught that time because i didnt know how to be a mother i feel lik a failiour. know he is always crying, alwas wants to be held and i think he is teething. i give him oral,tynenol,motrin,and the tablets but he keeps on crying? what might he have?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2010
Infants Answer A10453

When it comes to reasons for a baby crying, there are so many that someone-- even the experienced one (women and even doctors)--cannot tell for sure what is actually happening.

One of the most common causes for crying that actually are related to health are stomach problems. In the first three months baby’s digestive system adjusts to digesting milk. However, this is not an instant process and the bowels might become filled with gasses. Releasing of the gasses eases the pain quite a lot. Giving suppositories is one way to treat them. In that case, the feces and gasses are expelled rapidly and the problem is temporarily solved.

You might also find it useful to put 3 grains of caraway seed in 250 ml water and then boil it. Then use a little of the water to ease the colic.

Other common causes for baby crying include: hunger, need for sleep, feeling too cold or too warm, and a tooth coming out soon. Babies sometimes cry just for the sake of crying. In time you will learn to differentiate the cry depending on the cause.

As you can see, there are really many causes for a baby to cry. So, do not feel awful. Simply asking experienced older women for advice might help you. However, do not take any advice for granted and do not get confused if too much advise is given. Visiting a pediatrician is always a good idea, especially if you think that the crying is related to baby’s health.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infants , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.