Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Reason for a very strong, foul smelling urine?

User Profile
Hello, I am a 26 year old young lady who is only sexually active with my husband.Lately I have been having a very strong,foul smelling urine. I don't have any discharge or any other symptoms just the smell. I don't know what to do about this. I have gone the Emergency room and they performed a urinalysis and found no sign of infection. Can there be another reason/solution?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2011
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A23320
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you. As you have already done the urine analysis and there’s no significant increase in the number of pus cells which are a marker of infection, it virtually rules out an infection.

Sometimes, when we drink less water, it can give rise to a very concentrated urine which can give rise to a strong odor of ammonia. Hence, a very simple and effective way is by increasing the fluid intake.

Drinking a glass of water at bedtime is very important as the maximum concentration of urine happens at night time when we are sleep. We must drink at least 8-10 glasses of water in a day.

It is very difficult to confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.