Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Reappearance of inguinal hernias

User Profile
I had a laproscopic inguinal hernia repair about 6 months ago in my groin area. I started going back to the gym after 8 weeks, very light. At about 4 months after my surgery I was feeling pretty good, so I started going a bit heavier, still staying at 12 reps though. I also started going more often. I over did it! I was very sore right over where my hernia repair is. It was like a dull constant pain. I thought that I redid my hernia, luckily I did not redue my hernia. The doctor told me to take a week off, and when I go back to the gym only go 3 days a week and to take an easy. At 6 months I'm still going very light, only 3 days a week. I'm still getting sore where my hernia repair is, but the weird thing is that after my workouts I usually feel pretty good, I feel like I get more sore on the days when I don't do anything? Will this soreness ever go away? Why am I getting sore like this? Also, it doesn't hurt when I sneeze, but it does hurt sometimes if I walk a lot or even talk loud?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2009
Hernia Answer A6791

Inguinal hernia is a type of hernia where part of the intestine exits the abdominal cavity via the inguinal canal located close to the genital area.

The intestine is covered with skin and connective tissue. It is usually visible as a lump next to the penile root. In milder cases, the intestine might be pushed back in the abdomen. Coughing, sneezing, laughing, and defecation might push the intestine out, causing the bump to become larger. Inguinal hernias are treated surgically. After the surgery the patient is instructed to avoid lifting heavy weights. The amount of weight allowed to be lifted should be determined by the surgeon and should be respected without any changes. If not, the inguinal hernia might reoccur and another surgery might be needed.

In certain cases, the healing process goes through forming a connective tissue at the site of the scar. This connective tissue might affect certain of the nerves that pass in the vicinity, causing pain.

When the abdominal pressure is increased the intestine might try to push out, putting pressure on the nerves and causing pain.

You might want to consult with an abdominal surgeon about the pain in order to check whether it is caused by connective tissue or the hernia might have started to reappear again.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.