Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Reappearance and treatment of inguinal hernias

User Profile
For several years I have experienced more and more pain directly above a 10 year old inguinal hernia mesh repair. I cannot see but can definitely feel a small probably half inch sized bulge when pressing down or when moving my fingers across the area. It is painful if pressed too hard. Not sure if what I feel is part of the mesh, scar tissue, a hernia, or whatever. The bulge feels squishy and doesn't seem too hard. I experience a constant dull radiating pain in the general area of the bulge. Coughing, sneezing, laughing, etc. irritates and causes pain to occur. I have recently visited my doctor and she checked me for hernias all around my groin, though I felt she didn't really check thoroughly or put much effort into verifying my condition. I would rather bypass the BS doc appointments and see some results as soon as possible. What sort of procedure should I have done to verify my condition? An ultrasound?? What else could I be experiencing if not a recurring hernia? Thanks, -Josh

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2010
Hernia Answer A10756
Hi and welcome tot he forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience and how you should verify the same condition.

Inguinal hernia is a condition when part of the peritoneum, with or without part of the intestine, protrudes into the inguinal canal. There are two types of inguinal hernia: direct (when the weak spot on the abdomen is on the medial side of the inguinal canal) and indirect (when the weak spot on the abdomen is on the lateral side of the inguinal canal, and the intestine first goes all the way through the canal and later it presents itself as an inguinal hernia). Hernias may be treated surgically with or without mesh, a net-like material. Mesh is placed in order to irritate local tissue between the muscles and the subcutaneous tissue so that as a result of non-infective inflammation, a fibrous tissue is formed to keep the muscles stronger and stop any reappearance of hernia.

Given the data that you described, you may or may not experience a reappearance of an inguinal hernia. See an abdominal surgeon and have a physical exam to rule out inguinal hernia or spermatic cord issues.

Please keep in mid that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as an abdominal surgeon for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment of your current condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.