User Profile
Does the drop of blood sugar during my GTT show reactive hypoglyceamia despite it being above 3(54)? Also could I have both reactive and fasting hypoglycaemia rather than just one or the other? Lastly i know ketones should go up during fasting but is it normal for the level to be grossely high at 5 i think (at the moment a possible cortisol deficiency is being looed into could this be linked to it)?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2008
Hypoglycemia Answer A4151
There are 3 criteria that indicate you have reactive hypoglycemia: to have symptoms of hypoglycemia, to have low blood glucose level while experiencing those symptoms, and to have the symptoms stop when the blood glucose level becomes normal. You had a glucose level decrease soon after a glucose intake but it wasn’t accompanied by any symptoms. I believe that it is more likely that you have fasting hypoglycemia.

A cortisol deficiency can cause fasting hypoglycemia. Cortisol and ACTH blood levels need to be checked.

You should consult an endocrinologist about your condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hypoglycemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.