Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Reactive Hypoglycemia or Seizure?

Hello! I have a question about some of the symptoms and spells I have occasionally.
I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia 6 years ago, after having fainting spells in the mornings. I can wake up and know I'm going to have an episode within the next hour or two, on that day. It's just a certain feeling I get. I have no diabetes or any other diagnosis. Anyways, I have these spells probably every few weeks or months. I've noticed a pattern where it usually happens after a night where I didn't get much sleep. I try to have a protein bar in the morning, but even then sometimes I'll have a spell. My most recent spell was last week, during a morning flight. I had my protein bar and water that morning, but it still happened.
My typical spells look like this: I suddenly feel very heavy, and everything slows down like slow motion. My hearing goes out, like I'm underwater. Everything turns yellow, and I have a hard time keeping my eyes open and my head up. My face twitches uncontrollably, so I can't control my eyes squeezing shut. I start sweating profusely, and become very pale and clammy. I have the urge to lay down, and this is usually when I have to sit right there or lay down wherever I am. By this point, someone I'm with will get me water and some sort of snack, and I'll start to feel better. These spells usually last a very short time, like a couple of minutes. I'll feel back to normal afterwards, and sometimes like a bubbly relief.
My questions is, is this classic hypoglycemia, or a simple partial seizure? Something just feels off about it. I understand that if its hypoglycemia, then the water and snack will help me come out of the spell, but if it were a short seizure, the timing could be a coincidence. Any ideas if I should get further testing or talk to my doctor?
Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 24th, 2018
Even though the symptoms which you describe are consistent with hypoglycemia blood sugar levels need to be done while you are experiencing the symptoms. There are many causes for hypoglycaemia including Diabetes mellitus, Chronic kidney disease alcoholism, chronic liver disease , malnutrition, catabolic states such as sepsis etc. Work up can be done to assess for these causes.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hypoglycemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.