Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Reactive Arthritis and sulfasalazine

Just wondering if any of you have had success with sulfasalazine for reactive arthritis. I never had a pain in my life until I got hit with this darn ReA two months ago. It calmed down fairly quickly after a horrendously painful start,but it seems to have hit a plateau and won't go away, so the rheumatologist suggested we try sulfasalazine.

Have any of you actually had clear indications that this worked for you? I've been on it for two weeks and I notice NO difference so far, and I'm worried because I'm starting to feel like it's causing an upper respiratory issue.

Bottom line is that I'm not sure it's going to help, so I don't want to take it long-term if it's not doing anything.

Is there anything that DOES help speed healing with this?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 10th, 2012
ReA
I was diagnosed in Sept of 2011 with ReA after 4 months of testing. Taking advil/aleve for 4 months up to 8 a day just to function. Within a month on the Sulfasalazine I no longer needed NSAIDS, I'm feeling much better. Back to normal. I started on 4 a day went to 3 a day in January and down to 2 a day starting in April. Dr. will keep me at 2 a day for 6 months and see how I am doing.
|

replied May 10th, 2012
ReA
I was diagnosed in Sept of 2011 with ReA after 4 months of testing. Taking advil/aleve for 4 months up to 8 a day just to function. Within a month on the Sulfasalazine I no longer needed NSAIDS, I'm feeling much better. Back to normal. I started on 4 a day went to 3 a day in January and down to 2 a day starting in April. Dr. will keep me at 2 a day for 6 months and see how I am doing.
|
Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....