Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

Reaction to Albuterol -- sore lungs , tachycardia , fatigue

I'm a 33 yo male, and have had asthma since childhood and have always taken Albuterol. Recently, however, it seems that I can not tolerate it at all. In the past 3 weeks or so, every time I take it (either MDI or nebulizer), my heart races and pounds, I feel VERY much out of breath (like my body can't regulate my breathing pattern), my lungs become very sore, and sometime I even feel more tight-chested than before I took it. I also get extreme fatigue -- climbing up stairs, laughing, or emotional stress of any kind tires me out. The effect wears off after 4-5 hours. I now avoid taking this previously life-saving medicine and have no idea what to do.

I'm perfectly willing to admit that it may be anxiety-related, but the physical symptoms are far too profound. Can people become resistant to Albuterol? Are my lungs too inflamed to use this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 13th, 2010
Just an update: Since no one replied yet, perhaps this will shed some more light on the subject. I saw a doctor today, she said that my body has probably developed a sensitivity to the albuterol and even the Xopenex and instructed me to stop using it for now (which I already did). She prescribed me MaxAir, which is a slight variation on albuterol molecule (piralbuterol instead of levalbuterol or albuterol). I haven't tried it yet, as I am scared it will make me feel the same way Xopenex did.

Does anyone have experience with MaxAir?
|

replied January 13th, 2011
Can you use albuterol 2times a day without problems? I think sometimes I have racing heart and trouble resting, sleep apnea, but I can't breathe and have heavy chest so I have to take the Alb and Symbicort. I also got some infected abscesses.
I developed asthma as an adult is it for life?
|
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....