Hi,

Over the past 3 or 4 years I've had various 'episodes' of what I think is tachycardia arrhythmia. The episodes last generally from a few days to around a month. Generally what happens is the following:

- irregular heart beat: 3-6 normal beats followed by what I can only call a minor explosion or irregular beat followed by a long pause before the normal beat. This process is repeated continuously and is generally worse at night when I'm trying to sleep (could be because it's more noticeable).

- occasionally feel tired after a good nights sleep (8hrs or more)

- rarely feeling very breathless

The first episode I had was a few years ago and meant that I couldn’t walk 100metres without being out of breath and feeling incredibly light headed. I've had various trips over the years in and out of hospital and to a cardiologist etc. I've had 24hr ECG's the whole works yet they can't seem to find anything wrong with me (even though the ECG showed various odd rhythm’s in my odd for example sinus tachycardia among others). To be honest I have just learnt to put up with it and ignore it whenever possible though it is irritating.

Firstly, does anyone have a similar problem or being able to make any recommends.

Secondly, I’m quite fit and healthy and can run a mile in under 7 minutes. I say this as I am currently planning a trip that will involve climbing a mountain up to an elevation of around 7000m (23,000ft). Obviously this will put immense strain on my heart but will this effect my heart condition? Will it be advisable to not attempt a climb like this.

Thanks for any help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 11th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi jcooper1459 and welcome to ehealth: I can only speak of my past experience...I, too, have a rhythm problem...When we were traveling West, we stayed overnight in Vail...I never thought too much of it when I made the reservations, however, I did as soon as I got there...The elevation was high...I was not used to it...My breathing became so trouble that we had to leave in the middle of the night and head for Grand Junction, Colorado and stay at a lower altitude...

Think it over....Don't put yourself in harms way...Take care...

Caroline
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....