Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

Random swelling of right parotid gland for 4 years & lymph

For the past 4 years my right parotid gland would randomly swell up and be semi-painful when I would salivate. I could always push on it to drain it and the swelling would completely go away within a couple days. In August I noticed a small lump on my cheek, where my parotid gland is, and I went to the school Dr. He referred me to an ENT. Before my appointment with the ENT Dr the usual swelling happened but this time I could not drain it and it was extremely painful. I ended up having to go to the ER and got pain meds and antibiotics. The small lump did not go away for 2 months so I was sent for a CT scan which came back inconclusive. It was only an inflammation not a mass. I then got a biopsy of it which did not show any results and resulted in mainly blood draws so they assumed it was a reactive lymph node. I then had blood work done which showed a slight elevation in my ANA count so I was referred to a Rheumatologist. He concluded that it was Sjogrens syndrome and placed me on the medication before requesting blood work. The blood work came back negative for Sjogrens and for a thyroid disorder. The small lump is still there and my parotid gland continues to swell randomly. And now they want to biopsy my parotid gland. I have lost about 20 pounds in 4 months due to lack of appetite. Help please???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2016
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Chronic parotitis may be a consideration. Could be sjogren. Thorough work up should be done to rule out. if negative then just supportive care with pain killers . Sialadenitis ( inflammation of salicvary duct orits blockage may also cause it).

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.