Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

random order and very tender and warm?

User Profile
As I was getting ready for bed, I felt 5 lumps on my head. They were spread out in no random order and are very tender and warm to touch. Husband checked them and saw lumps but nothing else. It has been 2 weeks now and they are still there. Burning ,itching and tenderness and sometimes almost headaches like symptoms on 1 side of head. Also notice at times, tingling sensation in areas other then bumps. 3 felt rather large and 2 at the base of scalp are smaller. There are small crusty like "dots" on top if bumps. Taking benydryl to help with itch.Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 28th, 2011
Insect Bites Answer A20200
Hello and thank you for posting your health query on E health Forum.

Based on the history, it seems that you might be having seborrheic dermatitis.

Seborrheic dermatitis is a common, inflammatory skin condition that causes flaky, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas such as the scalp.

Seborrheic dermatitis is thought to be due to a combination of an over production of skin oil and irritation from a yeast called malessizia.

For treatment you can use OTC dandruff or medicated shampoos. Shampoo the hair vigorously and frequently (preferably daily). Loosen scales with the fingers, scrub for at least 5 minutes, and rinse thoroughly.

Shampoos or lotions containing selenium, ketoconazole, or corticosteroids may be prescribed for severe cases by your doctor.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Insect Bites , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.