Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Radiofrequency ablation for hemangioma

User Profile
I am a 22 year old female I have hemangioma on my right face since birth. I've had four sessions of radiofrequency ablation. My hemangioma got better immediately after the first session. It lost its color and it got smaller. But after my last radiofrequency ablation, I didnt felt any improvement. My right upper lip still feels numb after 11 months of session. Unlike before, it goes back to normal. My doctor said I should have a 5th session before a the big surgery. I dont know if i should still have the 5th session. The doctor told me about the risk that its not impossible for my nerves to be damaged. I'm really scared. Right now i cant smile the same way i did before because my lips still feels numb. Any opinion with what i should do? Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2017
Skin Answer A62465
There are always risks associated with every medical and surgical procedure. Locally invasive procedures like radio frequency ablation can lead to nerve damage especially the Trigeminal nerve in this regard. it depends upon the extent aof the lesion and the expertise of the person performing the procedure. if you are afraid of the consequences of this procedure and have had adverse effects from the previous radiofrequency ablation session then you should consult for a second opinion regarding the surgical procedure

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.