User Profile
Are there day to day restrictions that I should be aware of with a Radical sternectomy eg.driving with airbags , flying , CPR ????
How common is this and what are the short and long term morbidity rates ? How can I overcome depression. I am a 56 yr old male.
2007: May 8 enter hospital short of breath and have an angiogram that shows numerous blockages May 11 open heart surgery lasting 7 hours and comprising of five bypasses and one valve ring support May 11 -25 Life support as the Dr's cant awake me and they tell my family that they don't know if i'll ever come out of it May 26 fourteen days after surgery I wake up Still unaware of my situation i am weaned from all of my IV's I am moved to a recovery floor where a groin infection plagues me I am then moved to a rehab floor where upon complaining about a sore lower back a surgeon removes a cyst June 13 my original surgeon looks at my incision and he sticks a finger in it up to his knuckle and then informs me that he is going to have to tiighten a wire holding part of my breast bone in place and so..............

June 16 i am back in surgery to tighten the wires holding my sternum and ribs in tact

I was home in July but dropped in our drive in August

Gee since then i was back in hospital with a massive infection and that resulted in them removing my sternum/breastbone in August again i was out of it (coma) for 2 & 1/2 weeks and the family was all gathered but i pulled through and was finally out of hospital mid october

I was implanted with an ICD pace/defib in July of 2008 and am part of a study from the Ottawa Heart institute ( RAFT study) I attended a Cardiac rehab exercise pgm and continue at a a diabetic clinic on a regular basis as well as quarterly visits to a Heart function clinic and cardiac implant clinic ...I was at a Renal clinic today ...

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2009
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A5942
It seems that you have a lot going on. I suggest that you talk with your cardiologist or the team of doctors who you are working with directly about your questions...and make a list to organize your thoughts. The medical professionals who have supervised your case will know best about prognosis and treatment options for you.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.