Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

radiation question please answer ct chest scans

I have had these test done and now I'm worried I might catch cancer from all the radiation given to me. I didn't know at the time they were bad but now I have a constant pain in my chest, and I'm wondering if its cancer. Are these test to much and what will be my risk of cancer and if I do get cancer what is the amount of time it will take, I know everyone is different but I'm still in need to know.

one year a year ago and one and 6 months ago
CT scan of stomach in Columbia Presbyterian
stress test in Columbia Presbyterian
two months ago
CT scan in Lenox hill for dvt
stress test in Lenox hill
almost a year ago
CT scan in mount Sinai
stress test
a week ago
barium meal exam
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 19th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern.
I calculated the dose of radiations that you have recieved is( CT stomach=10+10+10=30mGy stress test=12+12+12=36mGy and barium meal=1.5 mGy
Total dose=67.5mGy).
Its very huge dose.The life time risk of radiations causing cancer can be estimated from the Atomic bomb survivors who were 30,000 and who recieved radiations equivalent to 2-3 CT scans.However most authorities says that on average 5%life span is reduced per 1mGy.
It takes 2-3 decades to develop cancer.
However alone radiation cannot cause cancer.Cancer is multifactorial in etiology.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Start here for facts about lung cancer. We help you understand lung anatomy and outline the different types of lung cancer that doctors diagnose....
Doctors know that smoking tobacco damages the lungs. But does smoking cause lung cancer? And are smoker more at risk of lung cancer than non-smokers? More here....
Early lung cancer symptoms can be difficult to spot. Learn how to identify signs and symptoms and know when to seek medical help for lung cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lung Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.