User Profile
Ok, not really but thats what it feels like. Basically most doctors (and friends) seem to think I'm depressed (although doctors have diagnosed or rather misdiagnosed me with several things before ranging from tinnitis to IBS). I basically feel bad all the time but I 100% believe its a physical thing, my sinuses feel inflamed but my doctor seems to think they're ok. So basically I go around with low energy, irritability, drowsiness etc all the things which point to depression but I get all these physical symptoms too

- Pain in my sinuses (sometimes just above the right eye quite badly)
- Nasal congestion
- Poor sense of smell
- Body aches

Most of the mental symptoms I think can probably be attributed to a lack of sleep and just poor breathing but what can you do when your doctor believes your creating it your head? I just wanted to know what other peoples experiences of depression were, can these pains and physical symptoms truly be created? I feel like I've got a cold all the time and this makes it hard to concentrate and do stuff and this subsequently makes me not depressed, to me it doesn't feel like its the other way around, like its the depression creating all the other symptoms but yeah thats what I'm asking about I guess.

Any help appreciated

Chris
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 30th, 2009
I know this may sound really retarded, but have you thought of the possibility of this being an allergy related thing? or maybe a dry sinus issue? Just some thoughts...
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Hell yes dude(or dudette?), this is the thing, my doctor seems to really think its depression and keeps giving me anti-depressants. I do get all the symptoms of depression its true but I kinda feel that its because I feel really terrible all the time (its like having a perpetual cold) that I get depressed but he thinks this is the cause not a symptom. I mean I don't even feel depressed, I like myself and I have hope for the future but I just feel horrible and irritable all the time, with all the physical symptoms I've described.

So your advice isn't retarded, any advice or suggestions are welcome because this is killing me. What is a dry sinus? I'm investigating the allergy thing but I can't seem to find any triggers so as you can imagine I'm at a loss and thats why I'm here, desperate for a solution. Again thanks for your response.

Chris
|

User Profile
Dudette. ;)
It's dudette. lol! Honestly, then, sweetie, I would get a second opinion. If you think that the depression is a side effect of feeling like crap all the time, then you are absolutely correct in feeling that your doctor is misdiagnosing and mistreating you!

Generally, if you have insurance, and they give you trouble about going to a different doctor, you can contact them, and explain and they will approve the claim. If nothing else, I would see a therapist or a psychiatrist. They could definitively rule out depression, OR rule it as a side effect of a medical condition!

I would attempt the second opinion first, as PCPs or GPs will treat the symptoms not the causes of depression.

Please, please, please, let me know how this turns out for you! You can send me a message or whatever you can do on here any time! (I'm new to this... yesterday was my first day, so I'm not sure what exactly can be done on here yet!)

Leah
|

User Profile
replied October 1st, 2009
Experienced User
Hi, thanks for the response again. I'm lucky (well thats relative) in that I live in the UK and don't have to pay for a GP, furthermore if I go private I get an even better service since they have to work harder for their money. I did see another GP, a private one, he gave me the diagnosis of Perennial Rhinitis but the medications he gave me didn't work (Nasonex, Montelukast) I've been taking Nasonex for about 2 months now and it should have had SOME effect but I'm still feeling pretty terrible.

I've talked to a therapist and it was ok, they won't tell me if I'm depressed or not, I think they're more comfortable with labelling as depressed because they can't to find any other cause for it. I put it to her as rationally as I could but I don't think they want to step over the line and say its not depression because its such a grey area but I was left feeling still in doubt about everything, it feels like its just a case of it being my word against theirs. I feel sane and not-depressed but just really, really bad, I've gone on anti-depressants just to satisfy them really and for no other reason.

So I'm just here trying to figure it out, what is really causing these symptoms? Why don't the medications help? Is there anyone who has had a similar experience and recovered? Its pretty self-indulgent but its my life at stake and don't want to have to lose it if I don't need to.

Cheers
Chris
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....