Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

Radial nerve palsy following fractured humerus.

I suffered radial nerve palsy following surgery for broken humerus 9 weeks ago. The break area has recovered well but im still completely numb around parts of my elbow,thumb and top of my hand. I have only a slight grip and my elbow bends only at a 90 degree angle-Ive heard some numbing never recovers so could this be part of the reason i cant grip or bend?I know it takes 6-12 mths for full recovery but im finding the physio very hard and should i be pushing these areas so much?Both areas are as swollen as they were 9 weeks ago which is another concern. Has anyone been through anything similar?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2016
hello and welcome

your concern is appreciated

18% of humeral shaft fractures have associated radial nerve palsy. all the problems you mentioned is due to this nerve damage occurred during the fracture.
with closed fracture radial nerve will return in 3-4 months in 75-90% of patients, if doesn't return nerve should be surgically explored
negative prognostic factors include open fractures, nerve laceration , nerve entrapment to callous and holstien lewis fracture.
if EMG show some recovery at 3 months then wait for 1 month. physical therapy is good but dont over exert your self

hope it helps
thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Recovery
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Broken Bones , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.