Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

Radial nerve palsy following fractured humerus bone.

Radial nerve palsy-Is anyone suffering from this after a humerus fracture??Finding it hard to speak to anyone going through the same thing.Im almost 5 months down the line.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 11th, 2016
Hello and welcome

Your concern is appreciated

The humeral shaft fractures have an assosiated with radial nerve injury in 18% of cases, the nerve can get lacerated, entraped, or palsy as result of neuropraxia , with neuropraxia the nerve will regenrate 1mm per day. Prognosis with cloed fractures is that function will return by 3-4 months in 75-90%. If doesnt return the nerve should be surgically explored.

|

replied November 15th, 2016
My name is Shoney. Almost one year ago I took my kids skating and fell down and broke my right arm. I shattered my entire elbow, the bottom part of my humerus, as well as the radial bone.Had surgery the next day,everything seemed to go well. When I took the cast off two weeks later, my right hand and wrist area around my thumb had no feeling at all. They put my hand in a soft cast and said that he may have been swelling against my nerves and they had to wait on two months to see it if it would come back by itself. He stated that I may have severed my nerves or it may have been pinched during surgery. After two months, he sent me to get a EMG done which showed no radial nerve activity. my other nerves were fine. By this time I had a wrist drop. I could make a fist but I couldn't pick up any of my fingers or pick up my wrist. I was also going to physical therapy. I am a nurse so I could not work. I was miserably depressed thinking that for the rest of my life I would have to wear a wrist splint to appear normal. I had to learn how to write and do just about everything with my left hand. (Which looked terrible) and I couldn't provide for myself.After four months, he decided that a exploratory surgery may help to find cause. I went to a different plastic surgeon who did tendon transfers and had experience with nerve injuries and to get a second opinion. He also stated that an exploratory surgery may find the cause. So I had the second surgery with my original surgeon. He found that my nerve was entrapped in scar tissue. After six weeks, my hand almost spontaneously started working. I can move my fingers and my wrist has normal movement, but I do still have a lot of nerve pain. Every day when I wake up my hand and my wrist hurts. I'm not complaining, I am very happy that I can work in that my hand is working . I'm sharing my story to encouraged someone that it can get better maybe with a little luck. There was a possibility that my nerve would've never come back and I would've had to deal with a life with without normal hand movements. It has been a year since the accident. I hope that info this helps someone.
|
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Broken Bones , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.