I have had heart palpitations for many years now but haven't noticed them lately. I realized about 5 years ago that they were caused by stress or anxiety and actually went on an anxiety medication. I noticed my irregular heartbeat when I would get close to a deadline and thus realizing it was caused by anxiety knowing my deadline was coming up. I was only on the medication for less than a year and then took myself off. I have not noticed the "racing heart/palpitations" much over the last few years. Usually if I do happen to get "racing heart" laying down and taking a few deep breaths gets rid of them. I exercise regularly and recently during about 25 minutes into my jog/walk, after stopping and bending down to do a few stretches, my heart started racing. I figured it was maybe caused by bending over and getting up quickly. I sat down on the sidewalk to relax and take a few deep breaths but couldn't get the "racing" to go away! I wear a heart monitor while jogging so I noticed the heartrate at the time....My heartrate jumped up to 233 and fluctuated between 173-240 for at least a half hour. I found a bench to lay down on and trid to relax and continued to take deep breaths to get my heartrate back to normal but couldn't! My girlfriend had to pick me up because I did not want to walk home w/my heartrate up that high and whan I got in her car and took a couple more deep breaths my heart jumped down to 90 and was fine. This has happened to me a couple times in the past where it seems that it takes forever to get the racing to stop and those two times I took myself to urgent care to make sure everything was ok. Both times my EKG readings were normal and found nothing wrong. I know my heartrate was racing for at least a half hour, is this damaging to my heart? Is this normal to last this long? Should I go in and have everything checked out? It concerns me that it happened during a workout and I am now scared to workout thinking it will happen again. I was just jogging/walking. I can't imagine this was caused by anxiety!! I don't feel i am stressed over anything.....PLEASE HELP!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 8th, 2009
Well, my friend, it seems you are over worried. First you have to know that it is normal for the heart to work faster while excersizing. I think you overreact to a fast pulsing heart. Based on your medical health evaluation, your EKG , I would say your heart is a healthy one.
However, for you to understand the funciton of body i mention to you a few things.
1. your blood pressure must be in normal range something like 70-89 / 120-30, at rest. so measure your blood pressure a few days when you are resting to make sure you dont have high blood pressure.
2. your pulse at rest must be below 85. A constant 90 pulse means you have high pulse could mean you have anxiety.
if any of these two persist go to a doctor, and you can get blood pressure sinking medication which you can take for a very short time to bring your blood presssure down(given you dont suffer from other chronic deseases like diabetes etc).

Now we come to the topic of palpilation. Make sure you get first a through check of your blood. This means a checkup for thyroad and all important glands.
given your body (blood numbers) are healthy, you must
check this:
1. at sitting, try to feel your pulse and see if a pulse skips. If you cant yourself try to get someone else to feel your pulse and check for any beat skips. If you dont have any one go to doctor let him do it.
It is normal for the heart to skip a beat when bending
or lying in a bad positon that the chest bones pressure on the organs. If you dont have any heart skipts regularly then you are ok here too.

now the panic attack, The panic attack is normally an unconcience thing. Howerver, the body raises the heart beats in a fear, danger etc situation to protect the body.
So if you get scared you pulse jumps higher, even when running. It is nothing to get scared from.
However some ppl may have severe panic attacks, which can lead to depression. If anybody thinks that he/she has panic attacks and can the control them, and it happens more often and often with raising intensity, THEN
he/she must see a neurologist for treatment. There here also very advanced treatments which really help and cure these people in the long run, like Zoloft from pfizer.
So I hope this information comes to some kind of help to you. remember that when your body is ok, YOU DONT NEED TO WORRY.
take care

P.S. I AM NOT A MEDICAL DOCTOR AND THE ABOVE RECOMMANDATION IS ON PERSONAL LIFE AND LEARING EXPERIENCE
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...