Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Infectious Diseases Forum

Rabies vaccine dose. 6th dose is important? OR optional?

In Ukraine, the dog has bitten me. At the end of treatment, 6 doses of rabies vaccine is recommended in the report. They make 4 dose in Ukraine and I come to my home (Istanbul) and 5. dose is finished. But total five doses of vaccine are made in Turkey. I do not understand why they want to dose 6. I have a healthy body. 6. dose is important? OR optional?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 28th, 2014
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

Generally post exposure rabies prophylaxis consists of 6 doses of modern cell culture vaccines given on Day 0, 3, 7, 14, 28, and 90 days post-exposure. So, yes, 6th dose is important for complete build up of antibodies. However, please also ask your doctor. Hope this helps. Take care!

|

replied October 10th, 2014
Dr. Kokil I have some question and its very trouble for me. Last February'2014 1 big dog bite me badly then I before 24hr gone I take 2 injection in the bite area and Rabies vaccination, my Doctor give me the dose like this : 0,3,7,14 & 28 (Injection in Muscle) & completed the injection period but the dog is live. Now after 6 month gone and the same dog attack me but and try to bite me but I stop the dog but his teeth touch my hand but not any bite or not any blood related matter. Now 24hr is gone but 2day morning I notice that one very small cute in my hand which is more upper side from the dog touch my skin but I'm scarred cause if the the cut is from the dog teeth then there is any risk for me??? 2month earlier I asked my Doctor for booster and the Doctor said that after injection period booster needs after 1 year and in between this days if dog is bitten then nothing to worry, is it right MAM? In that case I'm safe for rabies in 1year???? But somewhere I read that 6th dose need in 90days but my doctor didn't suggest me for the dose, so there is any risk for me for 1 year. I'm thinking to take booster injection in March'2015, then its boost or it will not working???? Actually I play with dogs so thats why I need rabies vaccination with boost. Do you think I take injection right now n take 6th dose then after 1 year take boost dose????? Please MAM answer me as soon as possible cause I don't want to like a dog because I love dog?????
|
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infectious Diseases , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.