To keep this brief - I may have had an unprotected sexual encounter (the condom fell off some point after I ejaculated, and I’m not sure if I was still inside of my partner for the remaining 15-20 seconds of the encounter - she was just finishing up her period at the time as well, but I didn’t notice any visible blood on me or the condom). I had some flu-type symptoms at about 7 days following the encounter. I have since taken several tests, all with negative results:

4th generation blood test at 21 days
2 oraquick tests at 4-5 weeks
3rd generation blood test at 9 weeks
Oraquick test at 11 weeks
Oraquick year at 13 weeks

I’m just having anxiety about this and would like another opinion on whether I’m freaking out unnecessarily about potentially being positive. I will be following up with another test at the 6 month mark, but just trying to make sure I stay level headed and reasonable right now.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2019
Welcome to e health forum.

Most likely cause of your symptoms would be due to common viral infections (common cold) which are common when you come in close contact (as during handshakes during meetings, kissing, sexual intercourse, etc) with new individuals, when nasal or oral secretions can be passed on to infect others.

Most of these cases improve on their own within a few days without treatment. Some measures like adequate rest, anti-inflammatory medications (advil, tylenol), good diet can help in recovery.

FYI, Using protection in the form of condoms during penetrative vaginal sex and or oral sex, helps to prevent possible infections, and hence the risk is reduced. But in case the condom is not used properly or it breaks during sexual activity, the risk of infections would be high.

As per your history the actual risk of contracting HIV due to a single encounter is very low or unlikely.

As per CDC and WHO recommendations, any person who is suspected of being exposed to HIV should get HIV tests (ELISA Antibody test for HIV 1 & 2 ) at least after 4 weeks post exposure.

In case the HIV antibody test is negative, repeat testing is recommended every 4 weeks upto 6 months.

But in cases of very low risk of HIV infection, testing at 12 weeks can be considered as conclusive

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.