Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Quitting Smoking is Easy

Now, you've probably clicked on this link and have some serious doubts about what I'm going to say.

Quitting smoking is the easiest thing you can do and why? Because you don't want to do it in the first place.

Example 1: Let's say I invite you to your favorite food, would you say yes?
Of course you would, it's something you enjoy and it's free.

Example 2: What if I invite you to eat dog poo. Would you try it? Hey, it's free, right! But, you would probably say no.

So what do those 2 examples have in common? The #One you want to do and the other one, not so much.

Well, let's pretend I chase around the house, work and every area of your life, telling you to eat dog poo. Would you just give up and try it? Like really?

Because that's what addiction does it pokes you and chases you until you agree to do it.

I could write a whole essay on this, but I'll post some main ideas first and then will specify on some things.

Addiction is not a habit. Look it up in the dictionary. Not the same thing at all and the words are very different, even though they sound similar.

Psychiatrists classify addictions as a mental disorder.

So first admit and you've probably noticed that by being a smoker, you are different than other people. You think differently and you're aware that your life is dominated by cigarettes. When to buy, smoke etc.

If you smoke a pack a day, that's like 1 cigarette every 45 minutes, without counting 8 hrs of sleep. That is like brushing your teeth the same number of times a day. Doesn't sound like normal behavior right?

So, let's summarize this, smoking is an addiction that pokes you several times a day. And here comes the catch, why do you have to do it, just as the example with dog poo.

Because you think you are getting something out of it. Not the bad consequences, but you think it somehow lets you decrease your stress or keep emotions in control... etc..

There are two types of addictions, physical and mental. The mental part of the addiction is usually what makes it seem impossible to quit.

But there's an easy way.

Add your thoughts in some things I've said or ask more questions and I'll write some other posts that go deeper on why smoking becomes a problem and it's our mentality that makes us fail.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 1st, 2014
Smoking is very easy to quit it don't take time to quit smoking if your are determined that you have to stop this habit.
|

replied February 16th, 2015
Quitting smoking depends completely on detremination power of the person , keeping yourself busy is one of the way .
|

replied February 24th, 2015
There is now some rather interesting evidence showing that MAGIC MUSHROOMS might help people to QUIT SMOKING!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/201 4-09-11/-magic-mushrooms-help-smokers-kick -habit-in-small-study
|

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2015
i smoked for 20 years.. i quit 4 years ago.. the worst part of it was the first day.. then the first week.. then month.. you need to take it one day at a time. and have Strong will power.. is the only way.. and try to imagine smoking does not exist for you. it is not an option.. and if you think bronchitis and temporary asthma is bad// just think what cancer would feel like.. in the 4 years i quit.
|

replied June 6th, 2015
Thank you for helpful topic! I would like to tell you that I absolutely agree with you. Friendly speaking it was hard to quit smoking for me because my willpower was weak and I did not believe in myself, my health. So the main problem is your mind and intelligence.
|

replied July 19th, 2015
Active User, very eHealthy
Here's from Mike of true2ourselves:
12:04 PM [17 Jul 2015 | Friday]
Christians Who Smoke

I used to smoke years before and leading up to the time in my life when I came to Christ in ‘75. Then, some years back took it up again. It wasn’t heavy usage, but I eventually realized the need to release the desire for flavor and regain control as it was showing signs of it taking over.

So, the times of less and less had to be given place. It isn’t an easy one, days and weeks without, but if a believer is to be true to their Lord and Savior, the freedom of “taste” and “touch” can’t be allowed to fool the user that he isn’t in bondage to this common habit. It is after all an appetite like any other that will ensnare through excuse after excuse. All the meanwhile, and the greatest tragedy here is the defeat from securing a wholesome and fuller relationship with the Lord. You are in effect, if not engaged in perpetual resistance, quite frankly quenching yourself from the Spirit of God leaving you unknowingly - miserable.

Misconceptions concerning what God allows me to live with are only oh-so-common because a prevailing ignorance of His will found in the word of God is so common. Do you have strong reasons to choose to smoke at-will or frequent over hardly ever? I would like to encourage you to seek the Lord on this. Resistance is the place to start to see if He will fill that void you have chosen to fill with that frequent puff which is by the way, a filthy and dizzying intoxicator if you have been away from it for a number of days.

Please consider a few of these towards this effort:

“For God has not called us for the purpose of impurity, but in sanctification. So, he who rejects this is not rejecting man but the God who gives His Holy Spirit to you.” (1 Thessalonians 4:7,Cool

“But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do” (1 Peter 1:15)

“All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything.” (1 Corinthians 6:12)

“For whatever overcomes a person, to that he is enslaved.” (2 Peter 2:19)

“You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.” (Galatians 5:13)

Begin your resistance immediately, prove to the Lord your not being brought into bondage over this. Set a time, and pray the Lord help you maintain that determination. Watch as the need within changes from more of one, to more of the other.

“So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” (John 8:36)

God bless you!
|