Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Quit Smoking 2 Weeks ago- Coughing

I'm 26 years old. Been smoking 1-2 packs of menthol a day for 5 years. I quit smoking 2 weeks ago. (technically). I use an electronic cigarette now. An electronic cigarette heats a liquid that contains nicotine and flavoring and causes it to become an inhalable vapor) I realize it is debatable whether or not I really "quit" in light of the fact I use the e-cig, however, I have yet to see any conclusive evidence that shows they are anywhere near as dangerous as smoking. (yes, I am aware nicotine isn't necessarily "good for you", but then again neither is bacon, red meat, caffeine, speeding in a car, alcohol, walking in a crosswalk without looking or arguing with an escaped convict)

My question relates to the fact that I've been coughing a lot more than I did before. I don't believe this can be attributed to the electronic cigarette as I have been using it for months in addition to smoking and 2 weeks ago moved on to it entirely. I've read some articles online about post-quitting coughing but I have seen several different answers as to how long I should allow it to continue before I should be concerned.

Any thoughts?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 6th, 2011
It's your body's way of getting all the tar and toxins out of your lungs. It should last only a few weeks.
|

replied January 12th, 2012
the e-cig makes u cough, keep the smoke in your mouth before taking it in. It will cool down the smoke and make it so your not hacking up a lung everytime you take a hit. Good luck!
|