Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Quickie question, Addicton, Trauma and Bipolar

User Profile
I understand that Bi-polar mixed with trauma and PTSD can cause a desire to Self medicate with substances that arent always legal, My biggest problems are with Pot and cigarettes, I was able to completely quit drinking almost cold turkey, but when i try to quit the pot or the cig's i find it nearly impossible, Is this something i can do cold turkey or atleast without NA? or would it be wise for me to goto NA? I dont like group settings i find it very uncomfortable and am already miserable in two other groups i have no choice but to goto, I dont think i can handle NA meetings but i also HAVE to stop with the smoking, I cant breathe, and i have given myself chronic bronchitus at 24.... What can i do to stop? Any suggestions, real suggestions, I'm having serious health concerns and its affecting my living situation and my home life also.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 26th, 2011
Also, Since starting smoking Pot 3 years ago, I began to eat less, alot less, Now im lucky if i eat once a day and even then im forcing it cause i cant stand the thought of food or eating... Is this the pot or the bipolar, the trauma? or some weird mix?
|

replied March 29th, 2011
I need to stop smoking also so I know that it is hard. I have chronic bronchitis also. I am going to try a patch or something of that nature. Maybe if you can kick the smoking you will be able to stop the other also I feel that they can go hand in hand. We all seem to self medicate. I have been there and it is hard. I wish you the best of luck.
|

replied April 10th, 2011
That does seem a bit odd. Most pot smokers love to munch, so it might just be the stress for you. I know I don't get munchies when I smoke up, but I'm certainly not put off food.

Is the pot really the problem or is it the cigs? I know cigs do put you off eating, and in all likelihood you smoke a lot more cigs than spliffs. Either way dude, with both of them, you need to find a tangible substitute to fill your time and keep your hands busy. I know that the NHS send out quit smoking packs with a bendy little toy that works well to keep your hands busy, which surprisingly works. I surmise that the reason that you quit drinking easily is because you just subbed it with smoking pot. Don't bother with NA, if you hate it then it's only going to stress you out and your going to abuse more.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...