Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Question about pregnancy, doctor answers only.. please.

Okay,this might sound stupid.. but, i have never had sex, i'm a teenager, but i am worried about things i hear over the internet so asking a doctor is the only way i feel like its the truth. My boyfriend and I do "fool around" a little bit.. with hand-jobs.. but we wash our hands with hot soapy water immediately after because i have anxiety disorder and i am very cautious. On my last period, we had dry sex, kind of. We had ALL of our clothes on, a thick blanket, & a big pillow in-between us. Also, since i was on my period, i had a pad on under my underwear too. We still washed our hands even though we didn't touch anything. I get worried very easily about pregnancy, even when it isn't possible. It's about a 1-2 weeks later, and this weekend i've had some diarrhea and heartburn, but i usually eat very healthy, and this weekend i've been at christmas parties, eating very unhealthy, and a lot of CHOCOLATE. So, i just want to know if there is any possible way i could be pregnant. Oh, and during the dry sex, or actually it was kind of just humping, i keep my hand over my pants, then the pillow, then the blanket, then him on top.. and he did not have any pre-cum through his pants.. please answer as quick as possible.. thank you. Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 16th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
justaskingquestionshere,

There is absolutely no way that a young lady could get pregnant with that much material between her and the young gentleman.

While it only takes one sperm to actually fertilize the egg, that one spern cannot do the job alone. It actually takes hundreds of millions of sperm to cause pregnancy. Thus, unless the man ejaculated deep inside the vagina, it is very unlikely that the woman will get pregnant.

Sperm are not very hardy and they die quickly when outside of the body.

It is also medically known that if a gentleman's sperm count drops to around 20 million per cc, he is functionally sterile. Many of the sperm in a man's ejaculte are not viable and many are deformed. This is called the morphology of the semen (the shape, size, motility, and viablity of the sperm).

For pregnancy to occur, if the sperm were deposited on the outside of the lady's genitals, it would take a medical miracle. First the sperm would have to survive being outside of the body.

They would then have to find the vaginal introitus (opening), then swim all the way up the vagina to find the cervix. They would have to find the cervical opening and penetrate it. Once inside the uterus, they would have to travel all the way across the uterus to find one of the Fallopian tubes. Since a woman only expells one egg a month, and which Fallopian tube it comes down varies, the spern have to pick the correct tube (50-50 chance). So half will go up the incorrect tube. The sperm then have to swim up the Fallopian tube to meet the egg. If an egg is present. A woman is only fertile a few days a month, usually a few days passed the midway point between her periods.

If there is an egg present, the sperm can then try to get into the egg. But, one sperm alone cannot do it. It actually takes thousands of sperm, all releasing enzymes to break down the barrier on the outside of the egg (the corona radiata).

So, most infertality physicians will tell you that unless the man has a high enough sperm count, and he ejaculated deep inside the vagina, it is just not possible for a woman to get pregnant. Again, this is why men with sperm counts below 20 million per cc are functionally sterile. They just don't have enough sperm to get the job done. So, if man ejacultes 2-3 cc each time, that means that 40-60 millions sperm are not enough to cause pregnancy. Thus, how could a few lonely sperm on the outside of the body ever stand a chance of getting the job done?

There are many stories around, of women having a chance of getting pregnant if the penis brushes past the vagina, if the woman is "fingered" with pre-ejaculate on them, or if the man ejaculates on the outside of her. Unfortunately, these stories were started decades ago, when it was believed that it only took one sperm, one lucky sperm, to make the marathon swim, for the young lady to get pregnant.

However, it is now known that this just cannot happen. There was a very nice picture published a few years ago (I believe it was in Life or Times or some magazine like that) of an egg being "attacked" by thousands of sperm, all trying to get it. It used to be thought that the sperm were all just trying to get in to fertilize the egg. But, it is now known that all of those sperm are necessary to provide enough enzymes to break down the corona. When these stories were started, decades ago, this was not known.

So, you will still find many "official" sites perpetuating these stories. It is mainly to scare young people from engaging in premarital sexual intercourse and to use contraceptive. Which is actually a good idea. But, not by perpetuating outdated medical information.

If you actually want to read the medical and scientific data, all you have to do is Google "how many sperm does it take to cause pregnancy" and you can find many articles, textbooks, and course sylabi outlining what was said above. Look for the scientific links. There are lots of them. I ammended three excerpts from three of these links at the end of this post, if you want to read them.

So, once again, there is no way that any sperm could possibly make their way through all of that material you had between you and your friend. It is just not physically or anatomically possible.

But, if you are in the early stages of foreplay, it will not be too long before you may end up "going all the way". It is just too easy to get caught up in the moment and end up having full blown sexual intercourse. Then you will have a chance of getting pregnant. So, before that happens, get on some birth control or get some condoms, and keep them handy.

Good luck.

Addendum:

From Dr. Charles Lindemann, out of Oakland University (Rochester, Michigan):

How many sperm is enough to cause pregnancy?

This question always comes up in regard to human fertility. If it takes only one sperm to fertilize and egg, why does a low sperm count make a man infertile? A fertile male human ejaculates between 2 and 5 mililiters(ml) of semen (on average about a teaspoon). In each ml there are normally about 100 million sperm. If the concentration falls below 20 million sperm per mililiter there is usually some trouble with fertility. Twenty million still seems to be a lot, so why the problem?

Only a small fraction of the sperm deposited deep in the woman's vagina end up in the uterus. From those that make it to the uterus, only a small fraction of those find their way to the oviducts. Usually the egg is all the way up at the other end of the oviduct(fallopian tube). Of those that are in the oviduct only a small fraction make their way from the lower to the upper oviduct. So, in fact, the number of sperm successfully arriving at where the egg is located is actually very small.

Another problem is that the egg is not just waiting to be fertilized by the first sperm to come along. The egg is usually covered by a thick layer of cells called the corona radiata that serve as a blockade to restrict sperm from getting into the egg. Sperm cells contain enzymes that break this barrier down. It may actually require an assault of many sperm to break down the corona sufficiently to let one sperm get through to the egg.

The following is taken from an Anatomy 101 Course Sylabus:

If sperm are deposited deep in a female's vagina at the approximate time of ovulation, they are attracted to the oocyte (egg) by chemicals that act as "homing devices", allowing them to locate the oocyte. It takes 1 to 2 hours for sperm to complete the journey from the uterus up to the fallopian tube, and if an oocyte is en route in the tube, fertilization is a distinct possibility.

When the swarming sperm reach the oocyte, hundreds of their acrosomes rupture, releasing enzymes that break down the "cement" that holds the follicle cells of the corona radiate together around the oocyte. Once the path has been cleared and a single sperm makes contact with the oocyte's membrane receptor, its head (nucleus) is pulled into the oocyte cytoplasm.

This is one case that does NOT bear out the adage 'the early bird catches the worm'. A sperm that comes along later, after virtually thousands of sperm have undergone acrosomal reactions to expose the oocyte membrane, is in THE best position to be the fertilizing sperm.

The following is taken from: "Embryology Atlas", Chapter 28: Human Development
Pearson Education, Inc.,

During coitus (sexual intercourse), a male ejaculates between 100 million and 500 million sperm deep into the vagina (typically about 200 million). This tremendous number is needed because of the high rate of sperm fatality. Very few, perhaps only several thousand, enter the uterine tube and fewer than 1000 survive to reach the ampulla. Therefore, males are functionally sterile if they have a sperm count below 20 million/ml because too few spermatozoa survive to reach the secondary oocyte. One or two spermatozoa cannot complete fertilization because of the condition of the secondary oocyte at ovulation (the presence of the corona radiate).

When a sperm encounters a secondary oocyte in the uterine tube, an acrosomal reaction occurs that exposes the digestive enzymes of the acrosome and allows a sperm to penetrate the corona radiata and zona pellucida. Hundredes of spermatozoa must release hyaluronidase before the intercellular cement between the follicular cells in the corona radiata break down sufficiently to permit fertilization.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....